1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost A/C lights after head unit upgrade.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by LulzChicken, May 3, 2011.

1. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Scroll down for most recent developments...

Hey there guys, I recently upgraded the head unit in my 2010 Prius II. However, I just noticed that I no longer have any of the A/C buttons illuminated anymore. I've checked the dimmer, and everything else. The head unit I upgraded to is a single DIN stereo. Not sure that makes a difference. Don't tell me Toyota designed the lights to be powered off of a harness from the stock head unit or something. Because, now with the new head unit installed, there are two connectors loose behind the stereo that would originally plug into the stock head unit. I think one is for steering wheel controls (I was aware I would lose these), but the lights for A/C? Come on now! Anyone else have this experience, any ideas? Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    Picture shows the area that I have no lights anymore.

Update 2:

Click me

Update:

I'm just going to update this thread, because I still have this problem. I also noticed that the LED that shines down from the ceiling onto the shifter is no more. I miss that! I need to figure out this problem. I may connect the illumination wires to see if that does the trick or not. Here is a picture with my headlights on. Note the A/C controls do not work, and no LED is shining down from the ceiling. All of the connectors near the button panel are securely connected.
    Picture below on post #6

Update 3 (sort of)
    Update 3

2. mesojdm

mesojdm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    make sure the orange wire on the aftermaket harness is not hooked up to your single din orange wire. (this is ILLUMINATION) because sometimes they are positive or negative dimmer wires.

1 person likes this.
  3. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As my harness said to do, I did not connect it to anything. It's just crimped off. Hmmm I'm not sure.. I may have to do some poking around. Or, maybe I'll just live with it.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have replaced my HU and my lights still work. I assume you checked and double checked the connectors to the display and the button panel? I remember one time I forgot the shifter connector and got a nasty message on the MFD and a long beep.

5. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Double check the tight fit of all connectors underneath the sky bridge console. Illumination wire to headunit is a control signal, HU is a passive listener usually.

6. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm just going to update this thread, because I still have this problem. I also noticed that the LED that shines down from the ceiling onto the shifter is no more. I miss that! I need to figure out this problem. I may connect the illumination wires to see if that does the trick or not. Here is a picture with my headlights on. Note the A/C controls do not work, and no LED is shining down from the ceiling. All of the connectors near the button panel are securely connected.

[​IMG]

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ Perhaps a wire got ripped out from one of the connectors to the control unit?

8. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The first and most obvious thing - check your fuses. You probably shorted something while installing....

9. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I called Crutchfield, and they said I have everything wired up properly. I should have done that first thing. I feel dumb.. Now just to find out which fuse to check by looking in the manual. Thanks!
    Doesn't seem like that's the case. I check that twice today to be sure.

I'm going to see what I can find out with the fuses.

EDIT: I can't identify which fuse to check, because they are always grouped together with other items and lights that DO work, which would mean that a fuse isn't the problem. Maybe I'm just overlooking which fuse to check. I've gone through the list about three times and I can't find a fuse that specifically says AC control lights, or the ceiling LED. I checked the dome fuse, but that obviously wasn't blown.

10. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are lots of fuses - located inside the car (drivers side near OBDII connector, and engine compartment). I'd still guess this is what's going on (especially when you mention the overhead LED is off too). Personally, there are so many circuits, I'd just run through them one by one regardless of the 'label'.

Turn on the car, get a voltmeter, connect to ground, and 'touch' each side of each fuse (takes just a few minutes)... These micro fuses are small - but have two little metal 'prongs' on each top - touch each one and verify 12+V...

Otherwise, you're dealing with the VCM (Vehicle Control Module) - which could've gone bad on its own (one of the computers)........

1 person likes this.
  11. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like that would be an easy way to check the fuses. Only if I had a voltmeter! Blahh! I'll see if I can borrow one from a buddy and report back. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.:)

12. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I get my tires rotated, I'm gonna ask the dealer to check this out for me (within the next 200 miles). I'll report back. Thanks!

13. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well - I just got back from the dealer. Needless to say, I'm a little aggravated.
    They told me that the EV,ECO, and PWR buttons etc.. don't light up at all, and didn't mention anything about the A/C display not working. They ordered me a new overhead console because mine isn't "receiving power", for the little LED to work that shines on the shifter. If you'd like to take a listen to some of the techs talk to me - visit the links below. The first link is when I brought the car in, and the second is when they finished.
    First
    Second
    I also had a tech tell me that the A/C and EV, ECO, and PWR buttons would only come on at dark because they are "automatic" and pointed to the little "ball" sensor near the windshield on the passenger side. *shake my head*..

I guess I'll have the overhead console replaced when the part comes in to see if that makes a difference. I'll also bring in pictures of the A/C and button area illuminated so they are aware that it is suppose to be lit up. Any suggestions?

Note: Once you click on a link, scroll down and click "download". The streaming player doesn't work with m4a files.

Edit:For the record, I also tried to swap out the aftermarket head unit with the stock head unit. Lights still do not work. The console is suppose to look like this (see picture below) when the lights are on, correct?

[​IMG]

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, that is what it is suppose to look like. Man, do you have another dealership near by?

15. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Spiderman.
    The closest dealer that I go to is Bill Penney Toyota it has 27 reviews, averaging 1.5/5 stars.
    There is one 45 minutes away called Landers McLarty Toyota which has more reviews, 41, and a review averaging 4/5 stars.
    I'm going to see what this "overhead console" replacement does for my A/C control, hazard, mode button lights, and all. If that doesn't work - I'm going to call Landers McLarty and see if they can treat me better and don't criticize my own knowledge of my vehicle. I'm 19, so maybe they don't believe I know anything. Think again.
    Thanks for the insight. Anyone else have other recommendations?

16. nedear88

nedear88 My 1st Prius.

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you check your dash "dimmer" dial? I also freak out one time I clean the dash and turned the dial down to minimum, when the engine is off and you turn on the headlight or parking light the EV ECO PWR light are on regardless, so checked the dimmer switch on the left side near the side mirror adjustment switch, good luck.

17. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, I have checked that. I definitely didn't overlook something that simple. I appreciate the comment though. The dealer ordered a new overhead console and it came in a few days ago. I drove to the dealer today, and just decided to turn around - because they've lied to me before and don't know what they're doing. Not to mention, will just replace whatever part they want to "shew" me away. I don't want some teenager ripping the roof of my car up to replace the console where the dome and LED light is. I can live without the light(s). I wish I figured out what this was though. :/. There is another dealer I may try to go to, but I'm not sure what they'll say.

18. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You might also do searches for LED AC lighting replacement.

There are a few on here who actually swapped the tiny SMT LEDs in the console - changing the color to blue(?) - they may be a good source for where the power comes from, and even have a schematic of that area.

They take apart that whole area where you have no light, and do a bunch of rework.

I'd agree that it is not the overhead (unless you had that pulled during the install).

1 person likes this.
  19. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I remember seeing some of those threads. I'll look around and see if I want to bother to figure that out. Appreciate it! Thank you.

20. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to bump this thread everyone, but I still haven't figured out what the issue is. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

All connections are secure. I tried swapping my after market head unit with my stock head unit, no luck. I've checked the fuses that I think would have something to do with these specific lights, yet no luck.

I'm really missing the illuminated shifter and A/C, EV, Eco, and PWR mode buttons. Keep in mind that the buttons DO work, they are just not illuminated - along with the LED that shines down onto the shifter.

The only thing that I can think of is something with the illumination wire (not connected) or fuses. However, if it was an issue with the illumination wire with the aftermarket head unit, when I put the stock head unit back the problem should have been resolved, which it wasn't.