1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost a DE3175 Bulb in the Back Seat!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jzchen, Sep 24, 2019.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was trying to swap a LED bulb in the dome light in the back. The Sylvania ZEVO bulb is too long so I took it out. I put it on the back seat, and while I was replacing the original bulb and lens I could hear the bulb fall down somewhere. I looked all over, maybe 20 minutes, and could not find it! Does anyone know where it could have gone? Thanks!!!

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Move the back seats forward and look underneath, towards the back, or in the slot between the back seat and rear cargo compartment..

jzchen likes this.
  3. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe that bulb was biodegradeable. :)

When we were returning from Florida last year, I made a special trip out to the car to stow the chargers for our two laptops. I wanted to be certain that I would not forget them. When we got back to Ohio, I couldn't find them. After 30 minutes of taking the car apart, I gave up and ordered two new ones. A few months later, I was cleaning the car out and found them stuck under the back seat. I know that I looked there several times so those things must have a cloaking device in them. Just to point out that I am capable of losing something bigger than a bulb.

#3 Ronald Doles, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Data Daedalus and jzchen like this.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you guys! Can't find it!

Another 30 minutes or so of wasted time. (It started to get warm so I started to drip sweat again. Enough searching. It's gone somewhere. $10 lost and note to self, be more careful with bulbs in the back seat.

I pulled the original bulb out because it felt like the ZEVO DE3175 was so much longer that it isn't the correct size. The original has this unique tip on each side. Hmmm... 1569427786261.jpg

moto g(7) power ?

5. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hah! You're the guy from CPF! I swear the Zevo will fit.

jzchen likes this.
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    FWIW, that is a festoon format lamp. Fuses on 1960s VWs were the same format.

jzchen likes this.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, yes I am. I think 1/2 of the moderators over there actually thinks I'm okay. The other one I'm not quite sure, although I mean no harm....

It did fit but the one bar looked so bent I wasn't comfortable leaving it that way. Plus I lost the bulb somehow! (Argh)...

moto g(7) power ?

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Philips Ultinon version doesn't seem to fit without using force. I think I'm going to return it. Took another peek for it this afternoon, but just a quick one. Sigh....

moto g(7) power ?

9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Found it this morning in the dark. I used a flashlight to limit my field of view. It had fallen inside the seat, I guess into the hole of the seat belt buckle, and was lodged in the plastic moulding at the bottom of the seat way in the back, where it makes a lip at the bottom right above the railing.

Here are pics of the different bulbs.... View attachment 178834 IMG_20190926_081829824.jpg

moto g(7) power ?

JC91006 likes this.
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    CSI

jzchen likes this.
  11. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A couple of mm longer than OEM.

jzchen likes this.
  12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I left the wedged in Philips Ultinon DE3175W in there. It was so bright it left a spot in my eyes for a while. It also has directional LEDs pointing only to half the circumference, more fitting for this specific fixture. There is surprisingly no reflector in these lamps, so half the light of any regular bulb seems wasted. I did not replace the trunk area lamp because DE3022 is even shorter and the capsule is thinner as well. Thinness is not a concern, the housing will accommodate that, but lengthwise it is even shorter than the OE DE3175. (This would require more stretching, which the lamp is better designed to accommodate as both "pins" are long and can flex). I'll do a little more research on what I may use as a replacement there.

A little background on this endeavor:. I went out in the dark and saw the driver side map light on. I turned it off and went on to recharge the LiFePO4 with my NOCO Genius G7200 Li compatible charger. Using the positive jump point in the fuse box, the other end would not reach the manual's prescribed ground way on the other side. I used a bolt nearer to the positive post and found the battery down to 25%. A couple to a few hours later it was 100%. No complaints of no start so I'm happy, (my parents are in their 80s).

So on to trying a replacement that if left on wouldn't drain the battery so fast, so I can catch it before my parents get stuck somewhere with a dead battery. I had a Sylvania ZEVO DE3175 LED bulb to swap in, but I was concerned about the stretch. It lights up all around, a negative in this reflector less application, but also only a tiny length of the bulb is glass/lit. It is not as bright as well, there is a slight opaqueness to the glass, like those warm white bulbs sold for the home.

I'll come back with what I find about the trunk light. I gotta do an oil change on my wife's car today or tomorrow (it's due tomorrow but I'm more busy). Let you know if I find a good alternative or keep the original).

Thanks for your time!!!

moto g(7) power ?

Air_Boss likes this.
  13. Evan78

Evan78 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did you end up changing the trunk light? I bought my V used and it has an LED in the trunk that is too blue for my taste, so I'd like to replace it with a warmer LED.

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Evan78, I can barely see what you posted, sadly. I get notifications on thread posts, so I see a glimpse of your question, but when I open the thread I can not see your post!

From what I saw you noticed your light is too blue for your liking. I’m not sure which bulb position you are talking about, probably because I can not find your complete post to read, but there are blue and white LED options. I specifically got the white versions. To be honest they are almost annoyingly bright! (I stuck with ZEVO or Philips, name brands).

Hope this helps, until I can actually read your full post...

15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I ended up leaving the original bulb in there. The longer LEDs made the switch harder to flip. I didn't want that, nor to tinker with all the non-name brand stuff...

moto g(7) power ?