1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost all steering wheel controls

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Keith Elkin, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I replaced my Entune unit on my 2013 Persona with a Pioneer Avic Z150BH, best decision I ever made. I expected to lose steering wheel controls for the radio and hands free, but I did not expect to lose the steering wheel controls for my climate control and multi function display. I can no longer use the Disp, Trip, and climate control buttons now. Is anyone familiar with a way to fix this? Someone on this forum previously said those fun inks wouldn't be affected by removing the stock HU.

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You won't like the answer. Install the factory unit

3. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Why would I do that? Plenty of people on here have said that they've replaced their OEM HU with an aftermarket and retained those controls, so obviously there is something I'm overlooking.. I just need to find out what.

4. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Did you instal the after market steering switch converters?

5. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Not yet, I planned on doing that down the road which is why I expected to lose my radio controls; I didn't expect to lose my climate and MFD controls though.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It appears readily apparent that the installer disconnected ALL of the steering wheel controls at the connector.

I would reconnect the block. That might be the only cause for the switches to not function.

You may need the wiring and circuit diagrams.

Then, you'll have to track the wires to the each of the switches and separate the radio controls from the ones that control the other functions.

7. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I did the install myself, there's no installer involved. All I did was remove all of the connections from the back of the OEM HU and plug them into the adapter harness I purchased and soldered to the Pioneer HU's harness. There's another post in the forum I didn't see before where someone had the same exact problem, it looks like pin 23 of the harness was getting a ground off the factory HU that it isn't getting from the aftermarket, so I'm going to try grounding that and see if it restores functionality.
    -Keith

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Disconnect the connections to the HU unit and see if the wheel controls work for the other functions.

If so, you are getting a feedback signal from the HU unit that it interfering with the steering wheel controls.

You'll then have to determine how the buttons switch the climate controls and figure a way to block the interference.

The witches might control contact, voltage, capacitance or maybe even Hall Effect or other control methods. When you find out, there are was to accommodate.

If the switching is accomplished by current flow, diodes or maybe transistors could be used to isolate an errant signal.