1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost Cruise Control!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GreenClipper, Oct 2, 2011.

1. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have only a week ago returned from a 4300 mile odyssey with no problems, but yesterday while taking a turn in the country, my cruise control vanished! This is a Gen III, model IV, STANDARD cruise, and out of warrantee, 43K. Stopped briefly to go into a shop and when I came out and started the car again......no cruise! No it wasn't in "B", all of us have had that happen to us at some point if we use B at all. It continues to be "non-functioning", and w/o any green pilot light on the dash display, or despite that no engagement,....I tried. I figured it must have blown a fuse. The owners manual is quite good regards both the under hood and the under dash fuse boxes, telling you what each one is for, etc., but I can find none of these fuses with a code that I am even remotely confident is for the CC. Can anyone help? Where is the fuse for the cruise control? Is it in another remote area? What is the "code" for it? Or if it is in one of these fuse panels, what # is it? Thanks for any help.
    I also wonder why it happened, and am thankful it didn't happen on my long journey, as I use cruise most all the time I consider it safe to do so. Conditions, (weather), were perfect yesterday. And I can find nothing else that is non-functional. :confused:

2. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just bought the shop manual CD on EBay for $19.50. It has about 8000 pages to it! I did find a chart of the cruise control. It showed three fuses in the system. STOP, IGN and IG2. I have no idea where they are located, but maybe your owners manual can say.

3. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Uhhh, maybe you should get to a mechanic who knows Prii.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here is the wiring diagram for the non-radar cruise control. After a brief glance I would say it looks like it is fed by several fuses each of which also supplies other things. But it may give you some clues. I suspect one likely failure mode might be the switches in the steering wheel.

Attached Files:

• cc.pdf
      File size:
      381 KB
      Views:
  5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Any chance that you are running in "B" mode. That shuts off Cruise Control in my 2004 Prius.

JeffD

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The OP explicitly excluded that situation.

Tom

7. GreenClipper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    tumbleweed, I very much appreciate your attempt to give me something to work with, but there are 38 pages of schematics here, and everyone is labeled "Dynamic Radar" at the top of them. I'm certainly not an engineer, I have a tough time reading schematics, but if these are for the "non-dynamic", "non-radar", cruise then it sure is complicated, and beyond me! I will check some fuses which are named here-in, but if the cruise is "piggy-backing" along with some other components on one, or several fuses, those other items, or components ought not to be working either, that would be a given I think, IF a fuse is the problem. I just thought it was an easy place to start to try to diagnose myself, as we all know that $$$ will start to dance in the dealers heads when I come through the door with this problem! But that I will tomorrow, if I can find no resolution tonight. I've become more dependent on the CC in this car than I have ever been in any other. Because it has a much more "steady" way of increasing speed at a rate that keeps it in the "ECO" area than my foot does. I have used it greatly. Coming from an era that was extremely conservative regards the use of any accessory I fight against feeling guilty for using it so much thinking that I have lead to it's early demise, but I know that should not be the case, at least not these days!
    Alas, I might be "lucky" if it is the switch on the steering column,.....? Back to the books, and the head under dash! :confused:

8. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have used it greatly. Coming from an era that was extremely conservative regards the use of any accessory I fight against feeling guilty for using it so much thinking that I have lead to it's early demise, but I know that should not be the case, at least not these days!
    [/QUOTE]

Don't feel guilty!! I have 93,0000kms on my gen III and i use the CC all the time. I agree ir is a great boon especially for some one with nerve conduction problem who regularly gets severe pins and needles when the accelloratoe foot is held in one position for any length of time.;)

1 person likes this.
  9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I should have checked it a little closer and offered an explanation, It is certainly a confusing diagram. But believe it or not it is the right one. The label at the top indicates that it is for the "Cruise Control, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Engine Control" and it covers all three of those systems.

On the pages that refer to either of the cruise controls printed near the wire color there will be a *1 for with DRCC or a *2 for w/o DRCC. So if, for example, a wire has a *1 it will not be used on your car. The cruise control wires you have should all be labeled with a *2. The engine control only wires are just marked with their color and no *1 or *2.

I think you are correct about the fuse, if one were blown you would be missing other things as well. Hope you can find someone to fix this for you, I use mine a lot also.

10. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is the complex one from the electrical diagram volume. There is a much simpler one in the service volume in the cruise control section which just shows what is needed for the cruise control circuit. If I knew how to extract it and post it...I would. But..it does show just the 3 fuses I mentioned earlier. That same section does have troubleshooting procedures no doubt requiring some sort of sophisticated equipment.....in the event the fuses are good.

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is the simplified version from the 2010 Service Manual.

Attached Files:

12. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You could use the Windows "Snipping tool" to take a screen shot...

If a fuse isn't out - I would hope and pray that you a mouse isn't in your engine compartment (seems to be that season)...

13. GreenClipper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Gary, All fuses are fine, so it is going to take the dealer to figure it out, I guess. I took it in today but got the classic line of: do you have an apptmt.? We only have two Prius qualified techs and they are both booked for the entire day, we could MAYBE work you in, but no guarrantee. (And I was going to wait on it, Ha!) Got an apptmt for 8am in the morning, hoping for the best, and trying to brace for the worst!
    Also thanks again to Tumbleweed. I appreciate the further explaination. I may try to look closer at it, but it is a complex system, at best, and I'm sure the dealer will have to deal with it. I'm of an era that understands mechanical mechanisms, but electronic, well that's another story, I struggle with that. :(

14. GreenClipper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks jdcollins5 for the simplified version of the wiring schematic of the CC. Your post must have came in as I wrote the one above. I have no blown fuses, and all other equipment works, so I think the dealer is going to have to diagnose it, and like Tumbleweed I think the problem has a likelihood of being in the main switch(s) of the steering wheel stalk......?
    And rrolff, I hope too that a mouse hasn't gotten into the engine compartment. I've never had that problem with any car before, mine are always garaged. But I have heard others talk about such problems, but find it hard to understand as I've never saw another car which is as, "buttoned-up", underneath as this car is. The last car I knew of that had an infestation of mice was a grandmother's 1938 Oldsmobile,....garaged on a farm and drove rarely, Ha! Now that is going back many years.

15. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As the dealer finance guy tried to talk us into an extended warranty...he said " you are buying a computer that has 4 wheels"

But....anyway....we still have lots of time to explore that option.

16. GreenClipper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well the dealer finance guy is exactly right, but I thought from everything I had heard about Prius, and knew from owning other Toyota's that getting a Prius would be "bullet proof". And it may still be........? We'll find out tomorrow I guess. I'm sure I'm going to get "arm twisted" regards an extended warrantee, and my 36K has long since gone by! :eek:

17. GreenClipper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well here on 10-6 (Fri.), final resolution of my problem. Diagnosis was, (as Tumbleweed suspected) the cruise control switch. How many have ever had that happen? On any car? Well I was told that the part would be in Wed., day after diagnosis. Had no call on Wednesday, no call yesterday, until I called the dealership, (tech writer) at mid-day on Thursday. The part hadn't come in yet!, Hmmm, does that give me an idea of how rare this part failure is....? Meantime on Tuesday I had gotten in touch with Toyota Customer Care in California. But by Thursday afternoon when I contacted Customer Care again, because not even the Customer Relations mgr. at the dealership had given me a call to inform me of what, if anything, they were going to do for me. I got a call from the dealerships C.R. mgr. (probably after someone got her attention!), but the resolution wasn't what I wanted to hear, and nothing was changeable, everyone had set their heels! I was to get a 50/50 split on the bill. You would have thought Toyota would have taken care of at least my half of the bill, after all it was their defective part. And probably would have gone south before the car was three years old, but they got lucky and I had surpassed the 36K amount. The dealership C.R. mgr. had the audacity to tell me how few times I had had it in to them, (translate: brought it in and let them have their way with me!), also was quick to tell me that I didn't have an extended warrantee! That really P.O.'d me! It took the Customer Care person (in Cal.) to tell me what the total charges were to be and what my liability was going to be. It ended up to be less than quoted, I guess that may have been planned to make me less incensed! Afraid it didn't work! it is done, the cruise works, and I am not happy with Toyota! I told both of these people, at the dealership & Toyota in California, that there were definitely options, and I didn't need to own the most F.E. car if that was how they were going to treat a customer.
    So maybe you do need an extended warrantee to own one of these cars!? Sure I'm still ahead.....but I'm also P.O.'d at Toyota. I just feel fortunate that it didn't happen while we were out on the trip we took. Then again maybe it's a shame it didn't, maybe another dealer would have treated me better...???
    My son bought a Honda Fit a couple of months ago. He just got back from a vacation and got as high as 44.5 mpg, and nothing lower than 38. And he has no baggage of friends and relatives thinking he has paid 25k for a 15k car!! Hmmm, something to think about!

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm pleased you got it fixed.

Sorry about your poor dealer experience. Unfortunately that seems to happen entirely to often with Toyota as well as others. Apparently they would rather milk a few extra dollars out of you today and not worry about trying to please you and maybe make another new car sale in a few years.

19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No...but you need an extended warranty to have waranty work done once you've passed your standard warranty.

The new car warranty is 3 years or 36k...as you admit you were at 44k. Hmm that means your warranty has expired.

I think a 50/50 split in this situation is generous.

Also, I own a Honda Fit...automatic...and trust me, I like the automobile, it's a great little car, BUT my mileage has been almost exactly the EPA mileage for the vehicle. Which is 28 city, 32 highway, combined 30....

I'd recommend a Honda Fit to anyone who is in the market, BUT I want a hybrid someday. The Fit is, what it is....which is a very nice sub-compact that gets competitive sub-compact MPG's. Nothing more, nothing less.

20. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So what was the final price?

MB860 ?