1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost fob 2011 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jhk, Jul 28, 2013.

1. jhk

jhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While at a meeting at our local library, someone picked up my key fob, accidently I hope. My husband brought me the spare so I was able to get home and can still drive the car. To date no one has turned it in and as the days go by, hope dims.

I called the dealer and was shocked to discover they wanted $500 + tax for a new one. I saw some ads on the internet and I have a call into a locksmith. The locksmith wasn't sure whether they could do a 2011.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If it cost $500 to replace a lost key, they I would prefer to go back to the old plain key ignitions. I've never lost a car key before, but this is a heck of a first time.

Thank you
    JHK

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! call more dealers, you might get it down near $300. and keep trying locksmitty's, one with the right equipment can do it cheaper. and don't lose the one you have! all the best.(y)

3. megatsea

megatsea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Put a notice up at the library, and nearby shops, someone may have found it and hopefully will return it. It has happened to me...it slipped off my key ring in a parking lot, someone returned the FOB to nearest store...and luckily I came back to inquire...another time, it had slipped inside between car seat and door when it slipped off the ring......alarm kept buzzing until I realized the key had fallen off the ring.....
    Good luck. It is expensive to replace.

4. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota Prius 2011 - Smartkey - 3 Button | iKeyless