1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost GPS for a few hours

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by dan2l, Nov 2, 2013.

1. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Everyone,
    I have a 2014 Prius v Five.

A few evenings ago I lost the GPS signal for a few hours. I left my house at about 5:30pm and as I was backing out the Nav system was booting up. I think the dead reckoning system took hold with the car headed 90deg from were the car thought it was headed. So I went south and the Nav went East. I turned east and the Nav turned north. The Nave tracking me across fields and mountains and got me into the middle of a national forest.

I turned the car off and on. Pushed all the resets I could find and nothing changed. At one point I found what I think was the screen for the Satellite data and it was blank. I turned the car off and left it for an hour or two and then came back and drove it home. It was stile doing the same all the way home.

The next morning it was all OK. I have now driven for several days with no problems.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a way to get a reset if it ever happens again?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that at 313 nautical miles, one must be flying above 40,000 feet to see that interference. But OP lives 2500 statue miles from that location, so he'd need to be in medium earth orbit.

Fallon Nevada put out similar interference a week earlier, but OP would still need to be above FL400 to have a problem.

When I have similar problems with my hiking GPS, I compare the available constellation map to the available unobstructed sky. That nearly always reveals a lack of adequate satellite coverage.

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Right; the point is that these tests go on all the time, all over.

Then you have the idiots who use GPS jammers to defeat their employers' trip tracking systems.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The point is that these tests are concentrated around certain military facilities, and notifications are published. OP's location doesn't fit any notice I can find.

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Vancouver, WA is fairly near Portland, OR where there are numerous facilities.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where are some sample notices for outages centered around Portland?

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I could show you but then I'd have to <you know>. I suspect a jammer may be the cause, as much as a planned outage.

GPS WAAS (precision GPS approach) service was out at Newark Airport for a while a year or so ago due to all the over the road trucks with jammers operating on the adjacent I-95. Using a jammer is now a posted felony, actively monitored, and the miscreants just wait a little longer driving south on the turnpike before plugging them in.