1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost headlight retention clip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SeanL, Jun 6, 2015.

1. SeanL

SeanL New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone,

I tried to replace my driver side burnt-out bulb today. While I was trying to clip in the new bulb, the metal clip somehow came loose and dropped down into the car. After poking around for an hour, I can't find it. I put back the assembly (without a bulb) and am pondering my next moves. Two big questions:
    • Is there anywhere I can get a replacement headlight retention clip?
    • Is it safe to drive around without a bulb in one side? Or should I put in the old (or new) bulb and let it jostle around without the clip.
    Thank you all for any advice. I'm pretty bummed.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Did you try removing the black plastic engine undercover? The clip is probably lying on the cover.
    2. Why not buy a replacement from your local Toyota dealer's parts dept if you cannot find the part.
    3. It is not particularly safe to drive at night without your lights being fully functional, or for a light to be wobbling around as you drive.

3. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    According to my parts catalog, Toyota doesn't list the clip separately. I would keep looking for it until I found it. Keep in mind it may have fallen into the headlamp housing. I once made one out of a paper clip which worked fine. You can model it after the one on the other side.

Avi

Patrick Wong likes this.
  4. Vinnie_febs

Vinnie_febs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe try a junkyard. Buy an old busted headlight and remove the clip. I can't imagine they would charge a whole lot for a broken headlight.

5. SeanL

SeanL New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for your replies. I looked some more and still haven't been able to find the clip. I put the old bulb back in for now and reassembled the housing.

@avi - I appreciate you looking up the piece. I've been looking online for a replacement. The closest I can find is a Lexus headlight clip on eBay (pictured); do you think it would work? It looks very similar.

Attached Files:

6. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you have the same type of bulb.That one looks like it's for HID bulbs. What type of bulb does your car have?

7. SeanL

SeanL New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, the replacement bulb I bought was a Philips D4R Xenon HID, Model 42406C1, Part D4RC1. I'm going to order the clip and give it shot. Thanks again for your help.

8. SeanL

SeanL New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just to follow up, the Lexus clip fit, no problem.

The one I purchased can be found on eBay under this description: "2006 2007 2008 2009 LEXUS IS250 IS350 XENON HEADLIGHT BULB RETAINER CLIP CP55."

9. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i can’t figure out how to add the clip back. NEED HELP. mine fell out and i have currently duck taped the headlight in. anyone know how to add the clip back? no luck on youtube

Attached Files: