1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost my key now I have a partial key.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nodashi, May 3, 2022.

1. nodashi

nodashi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My wife lost her key to a 2006 prius with SKS function (We have no other keys that was the only one). She called a locksmith that gave her a new key without SKS function (no silver logo on the back). The key only works to start the car. If you insert the key into the ignition it starts the car but the buttons on the key fob dont work to lock the doors. The locksmith could not figure out how to make that work. It was enough to drive the car back home. But now I have the wrong key non-sks version and I have no way to lock the doors on the car because the function. I have techstream. Is there anyway I can mate the key with the car so the buttons on the key fob work? I understand the proximity lock/unlock feature is never going to work the non-sks version key, but I need some way to lock the doors on the car. Thanks I would really like to avoid paying the dealership prices If possible. Thanks

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Perhaps purchase an SKS key. I bought one a couple years ago for about $130 from an online Toyota dealer then used the chicken dance. You won't be able to do that since you have no fully functioning key, but you may be able to program it with Techstream.

Or find a better prius locksmith

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Depending on how much time you have to deal with it. Spend the $200+ at the dealer and get a new one. Then clone the new one at ACE Hardware or via self help methods. You’ve lived on the edge and now have learned the risks you faced for these past years.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can lock / unlock the driver side door by having the locksmith make a mechanical key for the door lock, be sure to make copies after.

5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You cannot make the Remote Keyless Entry functions of a non-SKS fob work on a SKS car. (or vice versa).

Since you do not have a function SKS fob- the certification ecu in the car has to be "reset" with Techstream and a "seed" code (dealer gets it from Toyota server, locksmith gets it from ???, you can get it from some website in europe- google). Then correct new or used fobs can be programmed to the car. Get the mechanical keys cut.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Barcelona Red

Barcelona Red OM dream mobile sea glass

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced