1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost Smartkey Fob... Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ChiPri, Oct 4, 2006.

1. ChiPri

ChiPri New Member

Hi all,

I had the most ridiculous/annoying thing happen to me yesterday. I was walking outside with my key chain in my backpack, in a pocket that is usually zipped but for some reason wasn't. Long story short, I hear my keys fall out and turn around just in time to hit the manhole cover I happened to be walking over. The keys proceeded to slip right through one of the openings in the cover, and went splashing into the sewer far below. F*#k!!!!!! I was stunned and super pissed. I have tried and tried to get them out, but they're simply not retrievable.

So, now I need to replace my smartkey fob... and it's so expensive. I live around Chicago and called one of the big dealers here. Their prices were nuts! $120 just for the intensive labor of programming the fob! Crazy. I realize that if I didn't have another working fob, this process would even be much more expensive.

Basically, I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know of a reasonably priced dealer around Chicago to go to to get this done.
    2) I'm thinking about ordering a fob online and just taking it to a dealer to cut and program. I have heard a lot of mixed results with regards to people trying to program a smartkey themselves. Does anyone know of a cheap/reliable place to order a new fob online?

Any and all help is much appreciated. I hope my tale of misery at least gave you a chuckle...

Thanks!

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I received two keys when I purchased the car and thankfully I still have both so I would have no clue where to guide you for an economical solution to your problem. Sorry.

3. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, I went through something similar and bought extra keys. You can't program a SmartKey remote yourself, so it will have to be done at a dealer. But any dealer can do, regardless of where you buy your key.

I have an extra key if you want to purchase. Would be $140 inc priority mail to you. It's brand new, unprogrammed and never used. Send me a private message or email carrollmoore (at) sbcglobal.net if you're interested.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, that sucks. call around and see what other dealers will charge for smartkey programming, and casually mention you're looking for a place to have your regular service done too... if they've got a chance of making a repeat customer they might cut ya a break. but maybe not.

good luck!

5. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The key is on it's way Sam. Supposed to be there on Tuesday. Cheers, C

6. eejeremy

eejeremy New Member

7. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChiPri @ Oct 4 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]328086[/snapback]</div>
    have you tried a fishing line/pole/real and a strong magnet tied to the end. just a thought of something I would try.

8. eejeremy

eejeremy New Member

9. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the SmartKey for my Prius, and I also just recently purchased a 2007 Mazda MX-5, which also has a SmartKey. My wife lost one of the fobs about 3 weeks after we got the car. Local dealer quoted me $232 for the key and $120 for the programming. Ouch!