1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost something in the passenger seat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FiveToes, Nov 21, 2022.

1. FiveToes

FiveToes New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I got my car I only had one key fob. I picked up two more the other day and paired them without issue. I went to have the emergency keys cut and while getting out of the car my gf dropped one of the keys which ended up going down into the passenger seat, where the two parts meet. I've been googling how to get things out of there but it seems that any Prius seat search is assumed to be removing the back seats to get to the HV battery or replacing seats.

Is there an easy way to get things out of there? There's a flap on the backside that keeps things from falling through and my fingers are too big to reach through from the front. I don't really want to start poking around with anything that might tear up my leather.

2. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have your girlfriend retrieve it. Odds are her fingers are much smaller than yours.

You could probably wedge the gap open wide enough for your hand with some smooth object (something akin to a rounded off, smoothed 2x4). Your hand would go in next to the wedge.

You might be able to vacuum it out using crevice tool attached to a shop vac. (On a regular vacuum it would end up in the bag, which is gross to dissect to retrieve items.)

Are you positive that the key is there, and not, for instance, in the gap next to the seat?

All else fails you could remove the seat from the track, open it up as far as possible, aim it face down, and beat on it until the key falls out.