1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lots of codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SBP Mike, Oct 4, 2018.

1. SBP Mike

SBP Mike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's what I have and my thoughts

2005 Prius with 190K miles and throwing the following codes:

P0a80 replace hybrid battery pack
    P3019 Battery block 9 has a problem
    P3020 Battery block 10 has a problem
    P3000 Battery Control System
    C1241 problem with the Ig2 power source circuit, low battery positive voltage
    C1259 HV System regenerative malfunction
    C1300 ABS ECU malfunction
    C1310 HV System malfunction

I am thinking about pulling the battery pack (very carefully), checking to find the bad cells, then pulling the bad ones and replacing them, then reinstalling the repaired battery pack to see if the fix on the HV battery pack will cure all of the woes indicated by problem codes.

Does that make sense? If I have to address other parts after bad cells are replaced, will I be retracing my steps in pulling the HV battery pack to work on problems other than bad cells?

Thanks for help and suggestions.

Mike

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Sounds like you have a good handle on the situation.

Do you have a multimeter?

Do you have a source for decent replacement modules?

Will you balance or recondition the pack after swapping the modules?

We're here to help :whistle:

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Module swapping is NOT a reliable repair. If you are prepared to deal with future HV Battery failures, have a high mileage towing service plan, and if your employment will allow for repeated late/missed work, then have at it.

If you need a reliable vehicle, best to get a new OEM HV Battery! Or get a new car or younger used car.
    A new OEM HV Battery can be had from Toyota dealers who sell on line for $1800+; you just need to make sure they will sell to you. Local dealers might price match, but you have to make some calls.
    2005 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

The upside with a new Gen2 HV Battery is you can always move it into another Gen2 (2004-2009) Prius, or a Gen3 via swapping modules (Gen2 modules into the Gen3 case). The new OEM HV Battery will likely last 8 to 10+ years. Amortize that cost ($1800/10yrs) in terms of years ($180/yr) or months ($15/mo), and its not that bad.

Used/Rebuilt/Remanufactured/Reconditioned HV Packs are not reliable either. Why? The Gen2 modules (2004-2009) are 9-14years old, and getting older. 10years out of a pack is long enough. Many people who went with such a pack w/ a "warranty," have regretted their decision. The warranty only covers the replacement part, NOT labor for the replacement installation, NO rental car, etc. The BEST Warranty is one you NEVER need to use.

Choice is yours. Many people just look at the immediate upfront cost, but fail to account for reality (future break downs, job impact, avoidable stress).

4. SBP Mike

SBP Mike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    to SFO:

yes, I have a multimeter and know how to use it. ​

Yes, I was thinking about putting the entire battery pack on for reconditioning. I have a friend who operates a business doing battery reconditioning of civic and prius battery backs, though his interest is more in the realm of off-grid power storage than in just recycling hybrid auto packs. I have reached out to him to see if I can get this pack in queue for the reconditioning that he does. I think his process takes a couple of days and might reveal that I need to replace more cells than would be indicated by simply looking at low voltage readings on specific cells in the existing pack.

Yes, I have identified several sources for replacement cells. ​

to Exstudent:

I am retired, live on fixed income and put around 5 to 10K miles per year on my old prius. I have reasonable breakdown services from AAA and I don't have to worry about missing work.
    I would like to make this prius go until I can make a jump to a primarily electrical vehicle with a range of 250 miles. I think it may be a few years before I see that kind of range, though it's possible right now with the Chevy Volt and a few others. I have to be careful with my retirement funds and I generally driver older, low cost, low emission vehicles whenever possible for the normal "green" reasons.
    More info: my grandson also has a 2005 prius with similar mileage (and loves it) and his prius is also on the original battery pack. He would find it hard, but not impossible to afford an OEM battery pack replacement if/when his vehicle starts throwing the codes that say, "time for new traction battery," so I am thinking about both of us and how we extend the life of these vehicles.

I am also thinking about picking up a used, working traction battery, putting that in my prius now, then getting to work on checking, repairing and reconditioning my current failing traction battery, so that I will have a spare battery pack on the shelf if/when either of us needs to swap out a failing traction battery.

Do the additional problem codes suggest that I am going to have a lot of other expensive problems beyond just fixing the traction battery?

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts, ideas, questions.

Cheers

Mike