1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lots of engine movement on reverse

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by flyingmachine, Oct 14, 2019.

1. flyingmachine

flyingmachine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trying to diagnose a road noise and got the car on jack stands. While testing the engine mounts, I found that in reverse, the engine moves and bounces quite a bit, along w/ a clunking sounds. In forward drive mode, the engine moves much less. I'm not familiar w/ the Prius engine mount setup, which one is the likely culprit and is it a DIY job? This is on a 2014 plug in, Thanks,

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what's the history of the car? how many miles on her?

3. flyingmachine

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    72K miles, but we go camping w/ it every summer, so it has seen its share of fire roads and gravel paths. A year ago, we took it on a 24 mile round trip trek on rocky gravel. I wouldn't be surprise if that did it.

4. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

There is the center top mount on the passenger side. Then a mount on the transaxle on the front and rear on the driver side. Typically reverse movement is the front transaxle mount and forward movement is the rear. If you have ramps to put the vehicle on and a jack to hold the transaxle up, you can do the transaxle mounts. And a jack under the oil pan will support the engine if you want to do the right side.

5. flyingmachine

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've done a few engine mount changes, any trick or troublesome spots w/ the Prius? Had a Miata driver side mount that was well hidden behind headers and other exhaust bits that required taken apart and removed piecemeal. Putting it back was 2x the fun.