1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lots of plugins on the lot ...

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mbooth62, Sep 25, 2012.

1. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cept, auto is yours, lol....... get it?:ROFLMAO:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I received an email from a local dealer that said they were selling the advanced model for 4000 off the sticker price and 0% financing . . .

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    go for it!(y)

5. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    hahaha- i already have one but purchased before this email came out :)

6. imwoody36

imwoody36 the prius parts guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    the AutoBeYours battery pack has been delayed due to cell failures during testing. once because of a failure in the bms to shut off the charger, and once due to an incorrect profile in the software.
    new packs will be available by the first of the year.

[email protected] likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the update woody!(y)

8. guachodan

guachodan Junior Member

I've been considering a PiP for some time but the limited EV range is disappointing. The new Ford Energi models (C-Max and Fusion) look interesting as they have nearly double the EV range as a PiP. They're unfortunately also first year models though so I highly doubt they'll match Toyota quality. If the PiP was available with all the bells and whistles for the same price as an Energi it would be a no brainer.

9. chivazo

chivazo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have to say that for the amount of electric miles you get on the prius plugin it is not worth it. I have a Prius C. If I buy a second car I might consider a Leaf. Hopefully, in a couple of years they will bump the range to at least 150 miles. Toyota needs to make the plugin with at least a 35 mile range on EV to make it more attractive. Otherwise, there is the volt.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When I bought my PIP, the dealer had 28 to choose from. Now, they're down to 7, 3 base and 4 advanced.

11. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Except that the PiP is not marketed as an EV with a (not-so-efficient) range-extending ICE, as is the Volt. It is marketed as a VERY efficient hybrid that has some plug-in capability on the side. One gets advantages from the larger battery even without plugging it in, such as additional regeneration capacity and the ability of the LiIon batteries to accept regeneration energy at a higher rate, lessening the usage of the friction brakes.

12. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The trade-off for more EV miles is a heavier car. A heavier car will get worse mileage both on electric and on gas. So unless engineers can make a battery that will produce the same amount of energy at half the cost in terms of battery weight, I don't think you'll see a rush to higher capacity batteries in the PHEV. As it was, they barely squeaked this one through to qualify for the lowest federal (3.3kWh) tax credit. And even then, engineers were using every weight saving trick (including redesigning the charger from front to back of the vehicle and ditching the spare tire) they could think of to maximize mileage and minimize the car's curb weight. One could argue that the battery trumped the spare, but I think room for a spare could've been engineered into the design if it wasn't for the extra weight.

priuskitty likes this.
  13. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    a lot of us here on the board ended up paying less for the plug-in than the cost of a Prius Three, which has less features.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  14. chivazo

chivazo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sure there are people out there that have the extra money. But for me no matter how much I put numbers together it does not add up. I only pay $23,100 for my loaded C getting my 53-58 mpg. I think it is a better choice if you are short on money.

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  15. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think (maybe) the tax credit and the battery size in the Prius were designed together.
    I do not think that they could have (easily) added in a spare. I think the whole idea was to leverage the entire car design such that most of the parts are identical to the regular Prius, lowering costs. Yes, starting from scratch they could build a car that has the battery aranged differently, maybe under the back seat or along the chassis bottom, etc. But that would be a different car and would have cost more to design and more to make. I'm sure this is coming in a few years, but for now this is what we have.

People are overthinking the battery weight. The curb weight of the PIP is 123 lbs more than the non-plugin. The battery pack in the PIP is 176 lbs and the NiMH battery in the non-hybrid is about 100 lbs. There is probably a few pounds for the charging circuits and heavier wires in some places...and the lack of spare subtracts out some weight.

If the PIP had a bigger range, then this would add some significant weight (and cost)...let's just estimate another 150 lbs for a PIP-20 and 450 lbs for a PIP-40.

Mike

lensovet likes this.
  16. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: battery weight, that's the point bfd was making, that the PiP doesn't have a bigger battery so that it could stay at the weight that it has now. That's why it is only 123 lbs heavier.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PiP weights 123 lbs more than a regular Prius. C-Max Energi weights 252 lbs more than the Hybrid version.

Weight and cost are not the only issue. Bigger battery takes up interior room as well.

C-Max Energi (7.6 kWh) cargo:
    [​IMG]

PiP (prototype with 5.2 kWh) cargo floor raised:
    [​IMG]

Production PiP (4.4 kWh) cargo:
    [​IMG]

18. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mr imwoody36
    Have you guys or are you now selling the battery pack? Is this a complete replacement of current OEM HV pack . The images I have seen disclose blue headway cyl cells and you state you are using a Ewert/Orion energy product

19. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Being new to the Prius, the introduction of the Plug-in in 2012 was interesting. I wanted a Prius 5 with ATP. At the last minute I read here about the great deals on the remaining 2012 PIPs. I knew I'd regret my decision, or at least wonder "what if" if I went with the Prius 5, and didn't check out the Plug-In version. The limited EV mileage was interesting, but hard to justify. Also, first year model, new technology. I tried to persuade myself, wait a few years on the Plug-In technology. The EV mileage will only improve. As stated, I read a lengthly thread two weeks ago on the deals members were getting on the remaining 2012 PIPs. Two day later, I purchased one. The rebate helped, the 60 month 0% was too good to pass up. My commute to work is 9.8 miles one way. I've had a few 999mph mornings. I'm right at the edge of the EV range. I purchased from Amazon.com, received today, and installed a Levitron Level 2 charger. Right at ninety minutes from dead empty to full charge. My factory charge cable is boxed and ready to ship to RVSE Upgrade to convert it to a 12A Level 2 charger. By the time it's returned, I'll install a a 240v line at work. Although my PIP gets 10-11 miles in EV mode, I plan to do it both directions, because I can, and for the fun of it. That will justify my PIP to me. I must admit, I'm $pending money like a drunken sailor (no disrespect to our fine past & present sailors) on a car that's supposed to $ave me money?

Attached Files:

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What temperature is it where you are right now?

Here in Minnesota during the depths of winter, I'm only getting 9 miles of EV. Last summer in ideal conditions, I got 17 miles.

Warm (not hot) really makes the battery happy.

Big Dude likes this.