1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lots of white powder under car? Doesn't seem like road salt

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by max451, Dec 31, 2016.

1. max451

max451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found a BUNCH of powdery white stuff under and around the car. I've had road salt stains in the garage before, but we haven't had any salt put down here yet. And I've never seen it powdery. Everything under the hood looked normal, nothing leaking from the 12V battery, none of the fluids are low.

Could it be something from the traction battery? Nothing on the dash panel is giving me warnings. My only other guess is aluminum oxide which would seem to be a big issue.

20161231_151830.jpg 20161231_151903.jpg 20161231_151947.jpg 20161231_152454.jpg

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where are you? I'm in NH, way up here in the North East, and it is my understanding that the stuff they use to depress the freezing-point in the winter is not just rock-salt, but a cocktail of various chemicals, and I've noticed the same white crusty stains on my garage floor during the winter months - I try and take the car through the local car-wash after a particularly bad spell (like last week), and I see from the wx fcast that more snow is on the way :eek: - but at least that will give me an excuse to leave the car in the garage for a couple of days and very timely, since the TractionBattery is due for its biannual recondition (see other threads) -

BTW: Welcome to PriusChat! (…but beware, PriusChat is quite addictive! ;) )

RCO likes this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... Now you tell me I'm an addict???? :LOL::LOL:

4. max451

max451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I should have said, New Jersey, it's approached freezing temps but no ice or snow yet

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i get that on my concrete floors when moisture is coming up from underneath. i'm not quite sure what it is, but i think it's called efflorescence.

did you have a look under the chassi to see if anything was wet from a leak?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that it's probably some chemical ice-inhibitor they've laid down to prevent black ice etc

7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks like efflorescence from the concrete. How old is the concrete floor.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  8. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  9. max451

max451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've never heard of efflorescence, I'll have to look into that. The garage floor is probably 40 years old, we've been here 2 years and I haven't seen anything like it.

When I swept up the mess underneath the car I didn't see any moisture from a leak. The water was from an earlier drive through the rain.

10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a concrete retaining wall which for all the years I was in that house would get this same white powder build-up. It was physically dry, but in wet weather, or after I'd hosed the area clean would get worse - and white marks on black trousers if not careful.

Also had another where the air-conditioner condensate which dribbled on the floor would bring out the salts from the concrete. A shallow plastic drip tray solved that.

11. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My garage floor does that, especially in winter. Seems like it did that from day one.

iPhone ? Pro

alanclarkeau likes this.