1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LOUD Banging/Rattling at Start Up!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Blind Guy, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This morning when we went to start the car, it started normally, going into NO ICE initially, then after a few seconds the ICE came on and immediately there began a LOUD Banging/Rattling sound from the engine compartment. It was VERY, VERY loud! It was NOT a metalic sound, it sounded more like plastic, but not the plastic piece that covers the head of the ICE, it sounded more substantial than that.

We immediately stopped the car, my wife looked under the car and under the hood for anything loose or disconnected, but there was nothing obvious.

She started the car again, and everything worked correctly, and for the rest of the day.

Any diagnosis.

David (aka Blind Guy)

2. atroader

atroader Engineer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I couldn't ignore this one. I speculate that some road trash might have blown up under the car towards the end of the last commute, or a rodent or something may have found a place to rest. The 2010s do not have an accessory belt right?, but this could have been located near one of the cooling fans.--

Was the A/C on when the car was started?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Parking brake?? did it rain recently?

4. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sure sound odd, but as one poster mentioned could something have gotten in the cooling fan area perhaps??? You have not had it in for service in the past day or 2 prior?

Sounds like something was in the fan blade area, but maybe a check of that area to see that all blades are intact etc and nothing is stuck inside..PEST, BIRD..etc..

5. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Completely baffled as I can see nothing that moves when the ICE runs except a bare pulley, AC and fans are independent of the ICE aren't they?
    What would water do?
    Was the car moving when it did this?

6. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here kitty, kitty, kitty.

7. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    THANKS all for venturing a diagnosis, there were no critter strikes or debris intakes during the previous drive, the car is kept in a closed garage, the fan blades were checked and the sound it made was NOT that of an animal or debris of any sort, the sound was of something SOLID and NOT metalic, more a solid plastic of some sort, but again, it was VERY, VERY LOUD!!!
    * (I'm NOT saying it was plastic, because I do NOT know what it was, I'm reasonably sure I know what it wasn't).

Used the car again tonight, and everything worked as advertised!

David (aka Blind Guy)

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are there any other blind guys in your neighborhood? Are they all accounted for?

Tom

9. robrian7

robrian7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You wrote, "This morning when we went to start the car, it started normally, going into NO ICE initially, then after a few seconds the ICE came on and immediately there began a LOUD Banging/Rattling sound from the engine compartment. It was VERY, VERY loud! It was NOT a metalic sound, it sounded more like plastic, but not the plastic piece that covers the head of the ICE, it sounded more substantial than that."

This is NOT what you think it is. This has happened to me twice. What you are hearing is the engine trying to "catch" as it transitions from all-electric to ICE (internal combustion engine). I brought this to the attention of my local dealer and they said this is the first they have heard of it. It sounds like it may actually be an issue w/the engine(s). The sputtering/shuddering you're hearing is LOUD and I wondered if I ruined the engine or not, but just like in your case it did not occur after that. The best thing you can do is to make a note of it and report suspicious activity such as this to your local dealer. They should be keeping track of these issues. If nothing else, it begins a paper trail in case other issues arise in the future.

Other 2010 Prius owners may have had a similar experience. This is a good place for us to share our experiences to get the word out.

1 person likes this.
  10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm, perhaps the intake/exhaust valves where open and it had a little pre-ignition into the exhaust manifold? Just a guess.

11. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine did the same a couple times. Just like Windows, I powered it off, and back on, and it was fine.

The second time, I just went on my way, and it settled right down.

If it becomes common, I'll head to the dealer with it. But, I'd bet dollar to doughnuts they won't be able to replicate it.

1 person likes this.
  12. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Guys, Thanks for the replies, I am glad that I am not the only one.

David (aka Blind Guy)

13. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow,
    I think "loud banging" needs investigating, not sure If I could let it go. Sounds stupid, but if it re-occurs, I'd start taping the starts with a video camera.
    I've been on the fix-it side, and you really can't fix what isn't broken. That is another way of saying "could not duplicate"

14. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had this happen just after I washed the car during this past weekend. Turned it on, the sound happened, turned it off, turned it on again, sound happened, turned it off, never returned. Though the sound was not distinctly metallic in nature it couldn't have been plastic with the loudness and force the banging was doing. I suspect it was in the transaxle.

Wayne

15. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You guy's are spooking me:eek:

16. tonyl

tonyl Junior Member

I just though it was me. Had the same thing this last weekend, started when the ICE
    came on loud non metallic push the off check under the hood nothing, turned it back on the sound came back but not as loud again off and checking, nothing, turned back on no noise??????

17. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Same thing started to happen a few days ago. I noticed it only happens when I dont run the car for severl hours. Very loud noise and the whole dash vibrates. I let it run and it goes away within 7-10 seconds. I have almost 10K miles.

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  19. RiceHead

RiceHead New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Happened to me for first time today. 2010 III with 3500 miles. 55deg outside, hadn't been driven in about 70 hours. Violent banging from under hood, I thought a neighborhood cat met my fan, but even louder. Went away in 3-5 seconds without powering down. Opened hood and everything looked fine (and no, the fan wasn't running ;-)).

Will bring to dealer soon (Acton Toyota in Littleton MA) and see what they say. Will update, though I expect the usual run-around about being able to replicate the noise, etc.

20. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is this in any way connected to the 'knocking on start up' threads that have been on the site for some time now?

The symptoms are similar. Turn car on - engine knocks/shakes,bangs when it starts. Stop engine and restart and all is well.

If it is then the dealers are aware of it as are Toyota and as are many owners on this forum - including myself where it happened once after being stood for a few days in very cold weather.