1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud buzzing grumbling sound when braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JoelRyanQuinn, Mar 4, 2016.

1. JoelRyanQuinn

JoelRyanQuinn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2006 Prius with 206k miles is making a loud buzzing/grumbling noise when I press down the brake and periodically when parked. It's coming from the general area of the brake pedal, under the steering wheel. See video for a recording of the sound:

Any ideas?

I forgot to mention, the sound occurs at random times as well. It happens almost all the time upon braking, but randomly when parked and even when accelerating. It lasts 2 to 3 seconds before stopping.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It’s brake pressure pump. Sounds pretty normal.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As Valde3 says above.

Just to add, it has always made this noise in the circumstances you describe, you just may have not noticed it before. However, if you have noticed it and if it is occurring more frequently, you may have some problem developing - maybe you have developed a small leak in the accumulator circuit? I take it you have no warning lights? If so, there is nothing to worry about yet.