1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud Clunk Noise When Turning To The Right

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Brian, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2004 Prius with 85,000 miles on it. It has been perfect for years. Recently, while driving really slow, when I turn the wheel all the way to the right there is a clunking noise hear from the front right wheel. It doesn't happen when I turn all the way to the left, just to the right. The noise happens just before the wheel stops moving when turning to the right. It only happens at low speeds, because I don't know who can turn all the way to the right when traveling fast... Also, it doesn't happen every time, possibly about 75% of the time.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? I have the extended warranty on the car and will be taking it in on Thursday, just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Thank you.

2. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the upper an lower ball joint an the control arm

1 person likes this.
  3. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Take a look at the tie rod ends as well, and also the strut top. If you have the ability to raise the front of the car, (jack and STANDS, ALWAYS USE SAFETY STANDS) have another person turn the steering wheel while you listen and look, and you can also grasp the tire and push and pull in all directions to look for excessive free play and/or noises. Removing the wheel and grasping different components can also help diagnose issues because sometimes you can feel the vibrations of something loose or work even when the noise may not be showing up at that particular time.

1 person likes this.