1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud Knock at start up 2-3 seconds

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cashalanche, Nov 11, 2013.

1. cashalanche

cashalanche New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Loud engine knock for 2-3 seconds at startup I have a 2006 Prius with about 125k miles on it. I changed the oil yesterday and didn't notice anything different on initial start up. I just moved to Missouri from southern California, and I am thinking it may have been from the cold weather, but it was in the garage and wasn't extremely cold this morning. I have never noticed this sound before. The previous oil change I used a Mobile 1 - M209 filter and have used mobile 1 5-30 oil since I bought the car. When I changed the oil yesterday I could not get an M1-209 filter so I settled for a Fram. Trying to get the larger filter like the M1-209 I went with a Fram TG8316. I rechecked the oil level after heari g the knock this morning, it is fine, there are no leaks. Knocked again on restart for 2-3 seconds. The filter supposedly has a drain back check valve. Not sure what this knocking noise is and where it came from. Any Ideas?

2. Jim Porta

Jim Porta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had a similar problem on my Impala after an oil change. I put a different brand oil filter on and the startup noise went away. Chang the filter again.

uart likes this.
  3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In my experience problems like this are usually filter related. Don't try to over think your filter, just throw a Toyota OEM one on there and you'll be good to go. :)

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rare for a 1.5 to have start up knock. On any engine is usally oil related and usually low oil pressure on start up.

Exactly like Uart says. Forget all the over size filter. If you require extremely clean oil just replace the oil filter between oil changes.
    Go 10K on the oil and change the filter in between at 5K. Top it off and you'll have the cleanest engine on the block.

Your using excellent oil. Use the OEM filter. Its only $5.

But do it fast. Repeated knocking is coming from the bottom end and is not good.

5. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Check the oil level and make sure you didn't overfill it. That creates a whole host of problems that Prius Chat members can help you fix at little expense.

6. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's your feeling on using the 90915-YZZF1 OEM filter? It's slightly longer and I assume provides more filtering surface area. I figure it's still a Toyota OEM part and the cost difference is negligible, so it can't hurt.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure but really what's slightly longer filter going to do for you? This is an engine designed to run in a very narrow rpm band. The stock filter is quite adequate. If you want to improve the lubrication system use better quality oil.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I looked into that one before, it should work fine. The only issue I can see is the the longer the filter could be a little more prone to damage from rocks or other road debris etc. I'm probably being over cautious, but I like the way the short filter tucks up there well away from any risk of damage and consequent loss of oil while driving.

9. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm already using Mobile 1 fully synthetic oil. My thought process is that there are two acceptable OEM filters available from the parts counter with essentially the same price. Might as well get the one with more filtering material.