1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud Lumbar (IV/V owners...)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DeanFL, Feb 16, 2010.

1. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Question for those with factory leather seats and power driver's lumbar. This problem has been creeping up for about 3 months now, and getting worse.

The lumbar area "creaks" - almost like a leather-to-leather sound.
    I usually drive with the lumbar about 1/3 inflated. When I move in the seat, or under normal driving, a subtle "creak sound" comes from the lumbar. Seems as if the inflatable bladder may be rubbing against the inside leather areas. It's not very loud but irritating and has slowly become worse.

Wanted to see if others may have noticed this...

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I do have creaks that seem to come and go, but I'm unable to locate the source of them.

You might want to have the dealer make sure it isn't caused by the confirmed front seat squeak noise for which there's a TSB (attached).

Attached Files:

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't noticed it. My centre console does creak when i apply pressure on it (it didn't use to). Oh well...

4. kmkremer

kmkremer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow! I just discovered the same thing in my V. The drivers seat just started making this loud creaking sound. I was thinking there was a bad spring in the seat or something and was going to make a service apppointment to have it looked at. Then I remembered the drivers seat has the inflatable lumbar support. Sure enough, when I deflated it, the creaking went away. I like the lumbar support but don't like the creaking. I guess I'll have them look at it whenever I end up bringing the car in for the recall.

5. supertomtom

supertomtom New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same problem. I've mentioned it to them twice and they said they can't find anything wrong with it... :(

Thanks for that pdf!

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Somebody better tell Toyota this issue is more "pressing" than the brake issue!

7. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Same here. My old 2000 avalon with lumbar didn't have that issue. Wonder how they would fix it.

8. Sumo Joe

Sumo Joe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I've noticed this too! I've tried to inflate it a bit more, deflate it a bit more, and it is still "creaky". Nothing too terrible, but kind of annoying.

9. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have it too. It only annoys be because I obsess over it, because it's annoying... ;)

Dave

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.

11. DeanFL

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's kind of comforting knowing it's not just me.... I thought I was just imagining this problem, then tried making light of it. But darnit...it's like another squeak... And I'm not sure if I want a dealer tech to even attempt a fix as it would no doubt mean getting inside the seat back. But then again, would not want to live with this creak that will probably worsen with time. Mine only has 6K miles.

Little things like this tend to bother me and compounds to a feeling of poor quality - not sure if this problem may be an oversight by design, engineering, materials, or build. But I have had many cars with leather and lumbar (incl Toyota/Lexus) and never experienced this.

So if this is an issue for a number of owners, how does one make sure Toyota is aware of it and (hopefully) corrects with a TSB or such? Or if this is a known problem to Toyota and a running change was made.

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow, finally a funny noise I don't have. Makes me happy. :high5: I'll trade you two dashboard rattles for it.

13. marcovi

marcovi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes I have package V and I have the same problem. Air bladder lumbar support its inflated 3/4 and crackes when pushed on.

I belive the FRONT_SEAT_SQUEAK_NOISE_T-SB-0288-08.pdf is not related to this lumbar noise problem.

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How did we get Toyota to issue a TSB for the cloudy A/C display screen anyway? Make enough noise and they'll notice.

Everyone, bring on the rattles and squeaks!

15. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the same issue. Guess I need to lose some weight (actually, I'm 6' tall and 155 lbs, so that's probably not the cause).

16. calopt

calopt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have IV and do not notice any "creaks" sound yet. May be I did not pay attention.
    I could not say how much inflating on my Lumbar, but somewhat inflated.

17. DeanFL

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Been an unusually cold winter here in Central FL and have used the seat heaters quite a bit. BTW they warm up quickly, perhaps the best of any car I've had.

Was just wondering if perhaps the seat heater use (in the lower back of the driver's seat) has an impact to the 'creak' problem in the lumbar? I don't recall the noise/feeling before December or so - have mine since last June. Maybe the heat warms the bladder (no comments please...) and activates the noise by friction with the leather.
    Anyone else tie this together that has the problem? Would sure help in analysis and, hopefully, developing a fix by Toyota.

Not a big issue, simply another small one...

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I use my seat heater almost every day here in Eastern Oregon, our winters are quite a bit colder than the Western part of the state. I have, as yet , not heard any noises from the lumbar support. I keep mine pumped up about a third of the way.

19. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mine has progressed to a point now that I hear the continual 'crinkling' while the bladder is inflating and deflating as I'm pressed to the seat. Especially when warm.

Plan to get it addressed when I get the recall done. Has anyone had theirs inspected for the lumbar noise problem?

20. DeanFL

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm not a happy camper. Have a '10 V 10 months old. Only into dealer once for 5K oil change.

Today, brought to dealer for the ECU recall/update and 2 small issues. Recall was done (I guess...). The two issues were the creaky lumbar support (I'm the OP) and a creaky center console/armrest cover when pressed with elbow.

Told it was all done (about 1 1/2 hours). Looked at the service order and:

Console - "Lube latch".
    Lumbar - "Plastic Bladder-normal, no defects"

After the Cashier (no charge of course), spoke with the Service Writer. Asked him about the lumbar noise and he just repeated what was on the Order. I said - it CAN'T be Normal, meaning it was designed that way? Response - well it's plastic on leather - so it will make noise. That started a back<>forth. escalated frustration on my part.
    He called out the mechanic. The mechanic said, "sure I heard it - from outside the car when operating the button. They all do it. There's no TSB"
    More back<>forth. He then said I'm only the 2nd person to mention it. I told both that it's very irritating and only will get worse with age. He said he can't tear the seat apart - they (Toyota Region) would question him for doing that. More back<>forth. The Service Writer gave me the 800# for Toyota USA Customer Service. The mechanic said to complain and they may send him a brand new seat.
    I plan to call them tomorrow. This is STUPID. The noise is irritating as hell. I've had at least 5 cars with leather and lumbar, including a Solara and Lexus RX - they were both just fine. In my opinion - a cheap design in the Prius which will be troublesome. I just wonder if there was a running change in mfg - mine is a very early model.
    To add to my displeasure. On the way home - the console cover creaks as loud as ever. I'll need to take matters into my own hands. damn plastic....
    For those that experience the creak in the lumbar - COMPLAIN! Perhaps Toyota will research and TSB/fix.
    I'll report back after the Call.... Not a confidence-builder in Toyota or this dealer.