1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud noise from engine - 2011 Prius II

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by txl146, Mar 20, 2013.

1. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We're having problem with our Prius where car suddenly started to make weird clunking noise from the engine (28k miles, 2011 Prius). Car sounds unsafe to drive around, so I left it parked in the drive way. I did check engine oil level and it was at F level. Has anyone also run into similar issue?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did the noise happen at ICE start up or is it a constant occurrence? We need just a tad more information...

3. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, I was in a hurry so wasn't able to provide enough information.

I left the car parked in our garage for last two days, then started up the engine this morning to pull it out of garage. That's when I noticed loud clunking noise coming from engine bay. Wasn't able to modulate the sound by gas pedal, so I am not sure if it's related to engine components. Noise kind of went away after letting engine warm up, but check engine light came on. At that point, I decided to just call up an insurance company for a towing service.

Car is currently at Wappingers Falls Toyota in NY. I am supposed to get a call tomorrow on prognosis.

spiderman likes this.
  4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to the knock club. They will likely replace your intake manifold.

JMD likes this.
  5. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you were absolutely right... that's what they are doing.