1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud Noise when starting Prius 2005

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mike gank, Dec 12, 2018.

1. mike gank

mike gank New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi I have 2005 Prius with 95,000 miles and I recently left it parked for about 5 days. When it is in ready mode, its quite for few seconds and as soon as the motor engine starts, there is an extremely loud noise and the car is shaking. Definitely smell fuel when the noise starts. So far, I've turned it on and off about 4 times and every time it's been the same result. I turned it on with the hood up and the noise seems like its coming from pretty deep down toward the windshield but I turned it off because of the fuel smell.

I need to move the car before street cleaning tomorrow morning but I'm unsure if I should drive it.

If weather has anything to do with it, it did rain few days ago and I did drive less than a quarter mile to move it 5 days ago. There was no problems then.Since then it's been relatively warm during the 5 days left ( low 50s - high 70's).

Help!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Get under the car and see if someone stole the catalytic converter.
    2. If the exhaust system is intact, rev up the engine and see if it runs more smoothly. If so, try to drive the car around the block, and see what happens.
    3. If the engine is misfiring, look at the wiring harness surrounding the engine to see if there is damage from rodents, etc.
    4. If the engine is misfiring, and since you say the car was rained upon, maybe water dripped onto the engine valve cover and got into a spark plug well. That definitely would cause a misfire.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep Los Angeles means snatched cat. Calif is a carb state you must use oem cat which are very $$$$.