1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud rumble sound and engine smell

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by H.S., Mar 13, 2023.

1. H.S.

H.S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I woke up today to go to my doctors appointment for a pre-op. as soon as I began driving the car, it started to sound like a loud motorcycle and a funky engine/gas kinda smell is coming out of it.

I called a couple of body shops and they are suspecting stolen Catalytic Converter.
    the nightmare it seems that most places are back logged for 3 plus months as toyota is slow on producing them due to high number of thefts in comparison.

Anyone deal with this recently ? any reasonable solutions or alternatives?

I am assuming its not safe to drive the car at all in that condition.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Should be able to confirm, having a look with a flashlight, if you scrunch down there.

That's too bad...

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Probably stolen catalyst.

You can safely drive it short distances, but the primary risk is to your hearing and the secondary will be getting pulled over for a noise violation.

You can use the Toyota part (back-ordered) or the Magnaflow part (status unknown) legally. Every other solution would be outlaw, but could still get you by until your next biennial smog inspection anyway.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Now wait a minute when I drove my Gen 2 with just the manifold the pipe was completely unbolted from the back of the exhaust manifold and undone at the rear section ie catalyst removed properly I drove from my house down to the exhaust place which is 9 mi from my house maybe a little more possibly and drove down there pretty smartly too listening to the radio it pretty normal volume a little bit with the radio not on because somebody called and it really wasn't too bad even when I got on and it 45 mph to go to 55 not nary as bad as it could Even taking foot off the gas at 55 to slow down pretty uneventful not too bad I'm seriously in North Carolina I could probably drive like that all the time probably not really good for the engine and it's valves.

5. H.S.

H.S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hjave been contacting shops and the backorder is up to 5 months now, if I go through insurance they wont cover third party most likley and rental for 30 days. No shop wants to store the car for that long waiting on a part. I feel screwed.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well.. doublecheck on the third party detail. The California Air Resource Board did file an official exemption for the Magnaflow part, meaning it is totally legal for installation and usage within California.

They could have some other hang-up about it though.

Apart from that, I've got nothing to disabuse you of your sentiment, unfortunately.

7. H.S.

H.S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The crazy thing is insurance wants me to find a place to do it not them for liability reasons . Most likely they won’t approve third party . And the wait seems to be five months plus and I only have rental for 30 days . If I don’t go with insurance it’s a 2k plus out of pocket which I can’t afford
    I am extremely frustrated and screwed and don’t know what to do

8. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Move out of California? heh

Grit likes this.