1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud SCREECH from Rear Axle/Wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chris L., Oct 7, 2018.

1. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've searched around for information/threads regarding this issue, but I'm not finding anything specifically tied to this.

My 2009 Gen II (180k miles) is making a terrible screeching noise from the rear axel/wheels. This started after a week long rain (post-Hurricane Florence) on my morning commute to work. At the first stop sign of the drive, there was a terrible (and embarrassing) screech from the rear axel/wheels when braking to a standstill. The screeching continue through traffic (again, embarrassing) but dissipated by the time I pulled into my spot. I wrote it off as "wet drums", but the problem is still apparent weeks later.

I pulled the rear wheels, noticed the shoes and drum were dirty, (replaced shoes about six months ago with some from Advanced Auto to pass VA inspection) so I cleaned off with brake cleaner. Went for a test drive, didn't hear any squeaking and assumed the problem was fixed... Unfortunately the screeching has come back.

I tried the "N" method of brake cleaning, but it doesn't seem to be working either. I re-inspected the shoes/drum yesterday and didn't noticed anything unusual. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That is to get rid of the rust on the front disc rotors.

You replaced the rear shoes.
    Did you check the rear drums for appropriate thickness?
    Did you resurface the rear drums? Are you not aware that you are supposed to do this everytime you replace braking material (disc pads = resurface/replace disc, brake shoe = resurface drums)
    Did you apply brake grease to the rear drum shoe contact points on the backing plate?

Which is causing the screech? Advance Auto Parts shoes or OEM shoes? Time frame of screech and replacement is not clear. If screech has occured w/ non-OEM shoes, and assuming drums are not suspect, it could be the non-OEM shoes. Get your money refunded and get OEM shoes.
    Start of screech (approximate date):
    Date of shoe replacement: ​

Skibob likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First thing I would go is get rid of the auto store shoes buy some name brand high quality shoes and have the hubs resurfaced.

Skibob likes this.
  4. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replaced rear shoes and drum with OEM parts. Screech free ever since. Thanks!

Skibob likes this.