1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud squeaky door/vent opening noise at startup

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Romeo, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Romeo

Romeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is a lot of threads on different noises but seems nothing on this particular problem – after four months of driving (appx 1000 miles) my Prius started making a loud squeaky door/vent opening noise at the startup somewhere from the back of the rear passenger seat. The noise is quite loud and lasts for about two seconds. It happens only when it is hot outside and when the car was standing under the sun for a few hours. The noise happens at the same time as the usual double-click noise also from the back of the car. There is no squeaky noise when the weather is cold (only the usual double-click). The car seems to be running as usual, but I am sure I have not heard this noise at startup before even on the hottest day. I should probably take it to the dealer, although it’s getting colder up here in Canada and the service might not detect anything. So, I wanted to check with you guys, has anybody had similar problem?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The double-click noise comes from the system main relays located within the traction battery enclosure. I'm surprised that you can hear them. I cannot hear the relay noise with my 2004 unless the hatch floor is removed.

Perhaps the other noise is caused by the traction battery ventilation fan? I can't think of any other moving parts back there.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Me too Patrick I don't hear any relay chatter either back yonder. When i first read the vent noise post I immed. thought of the cow moaning noise everyone complains about when you go from outside to inside recirc air on the ac panel. My 07 moans pretty good. Kind of used to it now.But first I've heard of the relay chatter back there.

4. Romeo

Romeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've read other threads about the double click. Apparently, many other users can hear it. So, I am not too concerned about it. By the way, my hatch floor is half open because of the umbrella stroller that I put under it, so maybe it contributes to it. Anyways, the weather is getting slightly colder and the squeaky noise has gone. So, I think I should be fine for now. Strange that nobody else had the same problem though. There is a lot of Prius owners that live in south and I was hoping that somebody has experienced the same problem.