1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud, Startly Screech from Rear End

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris L., Oct 7, 2018.

1. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I’m seeing a lot of threads similar to, but nothing exactly the same as the problem I’m having... My Gen 2 has 180k miles and finally required drum shoe replacements. I did the change about six months ago, using top of the line store brand (Advanced Auto) shoes. Both rear brakes were changed with no issues.

About a month ago (roughly four months after changing the shoes) on the way to work, I stopped at a 4-way with normal braking pressure and a loud SQUEECH came from the rear end. The sound was definitely correlated to the braking and stopped after the car came to a stop.

This happened (and is still happening) after a two-week stint of rainy weather so I assumed wet brakes. When I got a chance to check them out, the rear passenger’s side drums looked dirty, so I used some brake cleaner to clear it up. I’ve also tried the “N” braking method, which doesn’t seem to help.

Has anyone had this problem? I’m trying to convert my iPhone video so I can post to the forum, which I think is the best way to communicate the screech. Any assistance would be much appreciated!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Few thoughts come to mind... Monitoring for uneven wear from new pads... Or maybe there's something wrong with the brake drums and you can switch them with each other or a different set? Also can you make the noise happen when driving in reverse?

3. Chris L.

Chris L. New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply! From what it looked like, the pads were pretty even (bilaterally) but will definitely pop off the wheels again and re-check. I can try switching the drums if that's advisable? Good question about reverse; it does NOT make the screech when in reverse, even at speed, which I thought was interesting.

Side note, I posted a second thread regarding the same topic, thinking this didn't post originally (posted after a 24 shift, low on sleep). Haven't figured out how to delete the second post but here is the video I was able to upload;

Any further insight would be much appreciated!

4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think if you had gotten OEM Toyota brake shoes you would not have a problem. Personally I have never had good luck with store brand brake pads. They have a good replacement warranty but they just wear you down with crap pads.

PriusCamper likes this.