1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Louder than normal noise under hood when running AC

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NWDiedrich, Jun 21, 2016.

1. NWDiedrich

NWDiedrich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good to know that the sound level is likely normal. Thanks all.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pleasure.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I ran Remote A/C twice last Sunday because of this thread (I usually just rely on the SPVS) to check out the sound.

1. In the morning, I ran it. It was soft and non-intrusive. But then, it was 9am and not particularly hot yet. The interior was mild when I got in but you could tell the A/C ran because it had that distinctive A/C smell
    2. I ran it again in the afternoon after about 1 hour of parking (partially in the shade as the sun rotated and the tree provided partial shade to the rear of the car). It was LOUD. It's of course warmer in the afternoon so the A/C ran harder.

So yeah, it can be soft or it can be loud depending on outside temperature, interior temperature, and your set temperature for the climate control. Oh and I was in ECO mode if that matters but I've actually never tested to see if the A/C runs in ECO mode if you are in ECO mode or whether it just runs at full blast to cool the interior.

4. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it runs slightly slower in eco mode/

5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm hoping that makes the hyperexpensive compressor last longer.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Caught mine the other day running 2250 watts briefly after being parked in hot sun. I guess I don't know exactly what the maximum possible is.

So it's not just a matter of it can sometimes run a little harder than other times ... the controller has (nearly at least) a full factor-of-ten range of power levels to tell the compressor to run at, depending on temperatures, humidity, fan speed, your temp setting, and eco setting.

Naturally it doesn't sound the same when it's loafing along at 1/3 HP as it does when putting out 3 HP.

-Chap

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I notice the compressor noise on mine (11x 2 Prius/ 16 CT). They tend to run hard for about 15 seconds .. then the noise goes away until it cycles again ... I head it today while sitting in the sun .. parked.