1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lousy mileage

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Bulcher, Aug 12, 2008.

1. jcfsusmc

jcfsusmc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been quickly cruising through the forums here, and noticed your question and anxiety. I don't have time to go through all the answers you have received so far; this may just serve as a confirmation.

My '08 #2 received 42-47 mpg average for the first 3,000 miles. Having just gone over 10,000 miles, keeping track of gas mileage from 3-10k on a spreadsheet, my average is 51.24 mpg.

If you have only 700 miles... that is not enough for a "real" break-in period. As a former professional mech and instructor, I can tell you that the average break-in period for an auto is at least 5,000 miles; I don't care what the manufacturer says or who it is. ICE's made since the '90's certainly have closer tolerances, but they still need a good break-in period from which to make any realistic conclusions.

Just wait about six months. Then you'll be in a better position to complain, if necessary.

Chris

2. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sometimes I get discouraged when I see my mpg in the low 40's, but I do have a short daily drive. I forget sometimes how bad my old 18 mpg used to be.