1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lousy selection of 15" and 16" wheel and tire packages

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by neilw, Apr 24, 2007.

1. neilw

neilw Junior Member

Over the winter I put snows onto my factory wheels, and now have been shopping for either a 15" or 16" wheel and tire package for 3 seasons. Normally I buy some variety of high performance all-seasons for my cars, because I don't want to get caught on summer tires when there's unexpected early bad weather in the fall.

Anyway, the selection of 15" and 16" wheel and tire packages on TireRack.com really sucks right now. 16" has good wheel selection but awful tire selection (not one I'd want to own), and 15" has plenty of good tires but lousy wheel selection (only one I'd want isn't available until late June!).

prefer to go with 16", but there's not a single tire there that I'd actually want to own in that size. In 15", the wheel selection is minimal; the only one I'd want to own there is not available until June.

I'm this close to swapping some summer tires onto the existing wheels (and saving the cost of a second set of TPS), but I much prefer to get new wheels, since I'd prefer to go 16" and with separate wheels I can do the swap myself twice a year. But I also hate to make a huge compromise in tire selection just for the privilege of the second set.

So what gives? For you 16" upgraders, where did you purchase? Has Tire Rack had a better selection for the Prius in the past? I've always bought all my stuff there, and swear by it, but there's always been a much better selection for my other cars.

2. B Rad

B Rad New Member

You can always go to !7", and have a great selection. What ever you do find out the total wieght of both tires and wheels and try to keep as close as you can to stock or your mileage will SUCK !!!!
    Falcon 205/45-17 at 19.1 lbs and General 215/40-17 at 18 lbs have both been used by members on this board with good results.... Then keep your wheels under 16lbs....................

3. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neilw @ Apr 24 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]429305[/snapback]</div>
    Well, here is what I did - 15x6.5 Motegi rims with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S in 205/60-15.... The Motegi rims are 4.5 kg (9.9 lbs) each, so lower total weight for the wheel/tire/tpms package = lower rotational mass = better FE (and possibly better acceleration and shorter stopping distances). I got everything at Tirerack; like you I have had nothing but great experiences with them. The Motegi rims that I got were anthracite spokes with spun rims, which is an absolute stunning combination with my Prius' black exterior. Also, the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S in the 205/60-15 size is within 5 rotations/mile of the stock tires, so no speedo or odo error.

4. neilw

neilw Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Apr 24 2007, 09:53 PM) [snapback]429455[/snapback]</div>
    Those rims are very nice, though a bit more expensive than I would prefer. The fact that they're super-light is certainly appealing. I was a bit worried that they'd look a little odd in 15", since they're aggressive wheels and I'd expect to see them with lower-profile tires.

Do you have any pictures of yours?

5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neilw @ Apr 29 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]432198[/snapback]</div>
    I do have pictures; but don't know how to make them appear in a posting. Maybe the quickest path to a solution would be for you to PM me with an e-mail address that I can send the photos to.

6. neilw

neilw Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Apr 29 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]432311[/snapback]</div>
    PM has been sent.

7. boatfanatic

boatfanatic New Member

I BOUGHT 16" WHEELS WITH 205X16, TIRES BOY DID MY MPG SUFFER. AFTER A FEW WEEKS I TOOK THEM BACK AND GOT NEW 15" WHEELS AND STOCK SIZE TIRES BUT YOKOHAMAS. I'M PLEASED NOW WITH A GOOD LOOK AND GOOD MPG.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neilw @ Apr 24 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]429305[/snapback]</div>

I BOUGHT 16" WHEELS WITH 205X16, TIRES BOY DID MY MPG SUFFER. AFTER A FEW WEEKS I TOOK THEM BACK AND GOT NEW 15" WHEELS AND STOCK SIZE TIRES BUT YOKOHAMAS. I'M PLEASED NOW WITH A GOOD LOOK AND GOOD MPG.