1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Love my 2013 Prius Two so much I bought a Volt!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ibmoses, Oct 19, 2014.

1. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Until I test drove the Prius I was blissfully ignorant of hybrid technology. The instant I sat down in the Prius I knew I had to get one. Soon thereafter I bought a new 2013 Prius two and have put 10,000 miles on it. Meanwhile I did some research and figured out I can drive a Chevy Volt and use very little gasoline because my daily commute is 40 miles each way and I can recharge at work(free). So yesterday I went and bought a new 2013 Volt. I still love the Prius but will sell it very soon unfortunately. Too bad the Volt does not have the cargo capacity of the Prius.

Thanks to Toyota and also to youse guys for helping me figure stuff out about my Prius. For instance I removed the hub caps and put some toyota insignia wheel centers on it and also WeatherTech front a nd cargo mats....

Roll Tide!

Bert

2. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Congrats on learning about alternatives to conventional gasoline cars and choosing a car which works best for your driving pattern. The Prius family and the Volt and other plugins offer great alternatives that can be better for the environment and more interesting and fun rides.

It looks like you made a good choice for your commute.

LeeB and F8L like this.
  3. PriusToo

PriusToo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wonder in the end, which car will actually cost less to own, meaning all money spent in any manor, for the life of the two cars.
    I'm betting on th Prius...

HaroldW likes this.
  4. PriusToo

PriusToo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jeff N said. Congrats on learning about alternatives to conventional gasoline cars and choosing a car which works best for your driving pattern. The Prius family and the Volt and other plugins offer great alternatives that can be better for the environment and more interesting and fun rides.

Not for sure if any plug in are a huge boost To the environment , considering a lot of the electric power in this country is from coal fired power plants. Not to mention there is no clear way of disposing of waste from nuke powered plants. Maybe one day the plug ins can run off more wind and solar.

#4 PriusToo, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Much of the country runs off of electricity generated by hydro and natural gas.

Kinda sick how the anti-environmental lobby in America fights to prevent cleaner burning coal, then criticizes electric cars because of coal plant emissions.

F8L and DoubleDAZ like this.
  6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As everyone knows, no one car is good for every need and every person. We wish you the best with your new vehicle. ;)

Zythryn likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    traitor!:p

PriusGuy32 and HaroldW like this.
  8. PriusToo

PriusToo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Coal is still a big part of it, your not that damn green!!!!!

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do not presume to know where I live or what means are used to generate electricity in my municipality.

Greenwave, Zythryn and DoubleDAZ like this.
  10. PriusToo

PriusToo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You tell me big guy

11. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And the New 2013 Chevy Volt is already a 2 year-old vehicle.

Well, the 2016 Volt will be unveiled in January, on sale: Spring 2015! Next-Gen Volt 'should be the first' in US to get GM's ... - Hybridcars.com

#11 Sergiospl, Oct 19, 2014
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wahoo!!! and will leapfrog the competition!(y)

13. PriusToo

PriusToo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mr Rebound,
    You might be greener where you live as far as electrical power goes, but remember we all are on a electrical grid.
    So not a lot, but some of your power may be generated from another state.

My post I have posted on here are more about plug in cars in general.
    You said most of the country runs off natural gas And hydro, guess what propels some of the natural gas power.
    Good old oil and coal.

Also most plug in cars use Lithium batteries, much more nasty than the lead acid batteries in the regular hybrid cars. Yet they are all bad man made bad products , the batteries that is.
    Don't get me wrong all the more greener cars are better than a old car going down the road blowing out oil.

#13 PriusToo, Oct 19, 2014
  14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think PriusToo has been drinking the anti-electric Kool aid! :)

Plenty of legitimate studies are out there and they all agree that in most cases electric is still better than gasoline.

15. PriusToo

PriusToo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much better, show me something on paper?
    By the way remember how electricity is generated, from all kind of resources , bad and good.
    We are not out of the woods yet, it's a nice fantasy you have, but hopefully the bell curve will be better for the electric car someday, too much politics right now in the way. Plus people like you that want to be extreme about plug in cars.
    Plus I was never standing up for the straight gasoline car, remember I drive a 2006 Prius hybrid with 152k miles, that uses hardly any oil, engine never rebuilt.

#15 PriusToo, Oct 19, 2014
  16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lithium is non-toxic. As you probably know, it's even commonly prescribed as a medicine to treat people with certain mental disorders. It's remarkably effective (hint, hint).

17. PriusToo

PriusToo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that is BS,
    Maybe it is non toxic but I have an engineer friend that has more info on the BAD of lithium batteries.
    Seems there is always a good side to a bad animal.
    Maybe someone on here might chime in.
    I will get back to you on that one.
    You calling me crazy is a bit of a insult, have you tried chevychat

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You sound like the political one. I hope you haven't been reading anything from Bjorn Lomborg. He has a very bad reputation of spewing anti-environmental rhetoric which is regularly debunked by real science. Anyway, I've been in the game long enough to ignore the useless drivel that appears on the news and radio shows. I look at the papers and I talk with the individuals studying the vehicles and their daily usage. Then I base my decisions on those data. It's one of the perks working so close to UC Davis. :)

Here are a couple of quick links for you to get started. I saved the actual papers on my work computer so I'll have to dig those up later this week. I think some of the articles link to them anyway. The point is, it's not a fantasy. It is now for some of us. For those in dirty grid areas it will be the near future or there will be cleaner fueling options besides battery electric.

Beyond Tailpipe Emissions
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/automobiles/coal-fades-so-electrics-get-cleaner.html?referrer=

Older study based on even older data. Many of the plants have been upgraded since then and others have upgrades planned.
    http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/documents/clean_vehicles/electric-car-global-warming-emissions-report.pdf

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Regardless, kudos to you for driving a Prius. And hold your breath...... I'm actually a diesel advocate too. They have a place just as electrics, hydrogen, CNG and hybrids do. :)

20. PriusToo

PriusToo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you once again are insulting me, you have no idea about what I listen to or read.
    I think you really are not too informed at all. Maybe you have more post on here and have been on here longer, and have some likes. That does not equate to telling me something real. Sorry I really can't find you too believable .
    Good luck with your car, and remember that online people who insult people like You have with me on a forum like this are TRUELY INSECURE. PERIOD.......