1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Love my 2019 Prius LE, but....

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris Wolfgram, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Doubt me? :) It's good to be critical.

I'll go a step further - take a tape measure to the dealership the next time you go. Put the seat as low as it can go in each model (Corolla, Camry, even the RAV4, etc.), then measure the top-of-seat-edge to the bottom-of-upper-door-sill on each.

Go a step further with that same tape measure - take it to competing car dealerships. :)

The Prius ease of ingress/egress (i.e. without bending the back or neck much) is only bettered by the Tacoma out of what all I was considering in the Toyota line-up. I would have bought the RAV4 Hybrid were it to have as easy, if not easier, entry/exit than the Prius.

Where SUV's like the RAV4 and CR-V aid folks is for folks with bad knees - they don't have to use the knees as much for ingress/egress, but it still helps if they are shorter. My issue, using a vehicle professionally for visiting clients all days (some days), became my back and my neck after using a run-of-the-mill regular commuter car like the aforementioned.

Somewhere, in my previous posts I believe, are the actual measurements - in inches - of the entry opening of the Toyotas, Kias and Hyundais I measured.

In retrospect, though, the one thing I didn't take into account that it now hits me I should have - perhaps manual seats go down lower than electric seats can due to the motors under them? Perhaps it was an unfair measurement for the upper-end cars with power seats, but most of the vehicles I was looking at were specifically lower-end, non-power seats for me. I'll have to be careful about that should I follow up on my research to create a spreadsheet of ergonomic ingress/egress vehicles.

#21 Mambo Dave, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  2. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Well hey Dave, even if you were totally right, the ingress / egress of the car is just very low on my list of considerations. I really don't get in and out of my vehicle that often. Sometimes even on a longer 12-15 hr shift, I might only get in and out 3 or 4 times...... Unlike when I used to deliver pizzas and might get in / out my car 50 times in 8 hrs ! Granted, I was younger then, and would practically dive in, hands free.... Or hands holding pizza bags :)

Mambo Dave likes this.
  3. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Yep, then it isn't a consideration for you as much as it is me as a salesman who visits many clients in a day some days.