1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loving our new Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by North Florida Lady, Jan 3, 2018.

1. North Florida Lady

North Florida Lady New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    brand new to this forum, and brand new to owning a Prius Prime! My husband and I have each owned a Prius for over 11 years, and last month we became aware that one of the proposed tax plans included elimination of the plug-in tax credit, so with only 3 weeks left in 2017 we started shopping! There aren't dealerships selling new Prius plug-ins in the southeast, so we had to look out of state. And we found Koons Toyota, with multiple dealership locations in Northern Virginia and Maryland, over 50 Prius Primes in stock, and with a fabulous year-end sale. We ended up with a new Prime Premium, with a $1,000 discount off MSRP, with dealer prep charges lower than our Florida dealerships - and the dealership was great to work with - no hassles, no hard sells. A quick visit to Virginia relatives and a new car purchase made this end-of year really special! Compared to our 2005 and 2006 Prius's, this one handles like a dream - quieter, smoother, tighter, wow! My personal downsides: significantly less storage - we now have one teeny glove compartment instead of two roomy ones, we no longer have a small compartment for miscellaneous change and access tokens, the console storage is smaller, 4 seats instead of 5, the rear storage capacity is definitely smaller, and the cargo cover is more cumbersome to install and remove than the ones in the older cars - my husband says "so what!". Most of the downloadable apps just add fluff and don't particularly impress me. But I LOVE the electric driving and my husband LOVES plugging it in every night!

2. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you get to try it out in the snow today :)

3. North Florida Lady

North Florida Lady New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Heck no! Drove the older Prius this morning - too many goofy people sliding around on ice! I have driven in Morgantown - you know what I mean in spades! Never thought I would appreciate heated seats, but am enjoying them right now, and loving this weather.

pilotgrrl and JamesBurke like this.
  4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey, congrats! Welcome to the forum, and the new car. Careful driving in that white stuff down there. Hopefully, that will be short term. And also glad you didn't (have to) deal with any of that local Toyota S.E. dealer BS that goes on down your way. Less painful to just get the car out of state as you did.

5. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Congratulations! And welcome!

North Florida Lady likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

7. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You have him well trained.

What are you using to charge the Prime? Did you have to install an EVSE? Do you live in a place with an existing charging station?

Some people like the app suite. Personally, I'm not big on the streaming music services (Pandora, etc.) in the car because of cellphone data drop-outs. Being able to keep a couple of USB "thumb drives" in the tray in the console provides plenty of listening choices customized to my own taste, such that it is.

Quickly checking scores and game times for the local teams is kinda nice. So is the stock market info. But both things can be done on a smartphone anyway.

The Entune "Fuel Guide" may be more amusing than useful. You can see how much your neighbors are paying for gas, I suppose. But at the rate I've been using gas, the difference in price between the cheapest and the most expense place works out to about 50-cents per month.

What I have found useful with the Advanced trim is the Remote Climate start, the Charging Station Map, the Charge Management status and sometimes the Vehicle Finder. The latter two also may be helpful if you want to check if your husband is plugging it in when he's away from home and you're not with him.

Although some folks think the "ECO dashboard" app is fluff, some of us find the sheep amusing. Check the PriusChat thread "We Like Sheep..."

#7 Old Bear, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    benagi likes this.
  8. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Amusing???...I am tearing my hair out trying to find my sheep.

benagi and Tideland Prius like this.