1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loving the Volt!

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by ny_rob, Mar 25, 2014.

1. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well so far I have 305 miles on my 2014 Ashen Grey Volt.
    I've gone to work 5 full days and have done a full weekends errand running- the ICE hasn't run since I bought the car!

I hope there is an ICE under the hood :D

Ursamajor, NuttyKat and miscrms like this.
  2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    After enough miles/time without it running it'll run for maintenance. You can delay it up to a day, but it'll ask each time the first day you start the car. I suggest letting it run when you know you'll be going somewhere far so it completes. If you start it for a short trip, I find it just makes it run again and as long the next time you start if you don't let it fully finish the first time. It shows in % on the main display how much is completed, it moves a bit fast at first but does slow down, at least that was what I have experienced.

BTW, I didn't mention it before, but congrats and enjoy the Volt! :)

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It is easy to get spoiled by that.
    It got to the point where on the rare occasions the engine did kick on I would wince ;)

MMBH likes this.
  4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    How's it feel to have heat while in EV? :p

MMBH likes this.
  5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that part is awesome!
    I pre-heated for 10min this morning before leaving for work- it was 20F outside and the Volt was toasty inside.

Thanks!

My wife wants to go to Astoria- that's about 40 mi for us, so I figure that will be a good time to run the ICE.

It's a shame- but the dealer filled the tank (91 octane) when I picked up the car. I wish he only put a few gallons in, but he said it's corporate policy to fill-em-up when they sell them.
    I'm actually a bit concerned about having 9 gal in the tank with no real occasion to burn it off other than just using hold mode for 5 days or more commute.

What MY volt do you have?
    What are your overall impressions?

I know I'm in the honeymoon period w/mine, but the ride comfort, interior materials, EV power and range are head and shoulders ahead of the PIP...

6. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Paradox owns a Volt !?!

Welcome to the future!!

It is truly a "Leap in Technology" as Lutz wanted when he was wanting to improve on the Prius.

7. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

2013 Volt, crystal red tintcoat. Lol, not many even knew I have a volt but it's been in my signature for a year now under currently own.

Overall, I really like the car. It drives tighter than the Prius, i do not know, it's just fun to drive and the ev range is perfect for me and having heat when i want it without the engine running is what I wanted. I have never had a mechanical issue, my only complaint is rear seat leg room. My son is young so it works, but my next vehicle that replaces it will be quite larger for summer trips, even larger than the Prius v.

I don't look at wheel to well, number crunching blah blah. I just wanted what I wanted and that was having an ev that suits me most of the time but have the engine for when I needed it for road trips. The volt fit that bill. If Toyota ever did a plug in Prius with 35-40 mile range, I'd probably be all over it, but I just don't see it personally.

One suggestion, consider putting an hid kit in it to replace those halogens, world of difference...

8. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Buddy !
    Been there, done that, my post: HID Lights

Might I suggest L2 charging for $285? It's really nice, even if you can live with L1: $149 Juicebox Kit

9. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the details, and I'm happy it's working well for you. I actually looked at the crystal red first and i thought that's the color I was going to go with- but when I saw the Ashen Grey with the lighter interior- I knew that was the color combo for me. I've got lots of compliments on it so far- it's very sharp actually.
    Overall from the research I've done- it seems to be a reliable car.

HID's... oh yeah!
    I pulled the Morimoto 5Five (50 watt) kit out of the PIP before I traded it in- and ordered the Morimoto 3Five 9012 bulbs for the Volt last week. TRS shipped the bulbs today, hopefully they'll come in time for a weekend install!

Thanks Bill,
    I ordered it last Tues morning (3/18/14 the day the price officially went up to $179 for the base kit, but Valery still gave it to me for the old $149 price).
    I already have a dedicated 20 amp 240v line out to my porch- I had upgraded the PIP's EVSE to 240v about a year ago.
    Looking forward to fast charging and decent pre-heating.

10. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I forgot the bulb numbers already but theretrofitsource's 9012s are really I think the 9006s and you have to trim the tabs. I got the same kit for mine before the 9012s were on their site. I trimmed tabs and they fit fine. I wrote later about the 9012s and they told me they still have to be trimmed, so they should say that if they haven't updated it.

I had their regular bulbs and then got the xb35s and for the few bucks more, the xb35s are very nice. Also, F8Ls were different on his volt than mine, but for me not to get the ground wore shadow I had to install the ground wire facing up towards the hood of the car, not the ground. On his, he said he had to point it down. So be sure to try it after installation and see if you see it and rotate the bulb accordingly. :)

11. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that Paradox...
    I read that in the Volt the light reflects off a mirror behind the bulb which inverts the image then gets inverted again passing through the projector lens? It makes sense that the ground wire would need to be at the 12 o'clock position then.

Reminds me of high school physics.. :(

12. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Volt uses 91 octane?? .... Possible that the gas will get old, or something like that, if you don't use it?:eek:

13. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, exactly... 91 octane has proven to have better shelf life than 86/87 octane, and they recommend Top Tier Detergent Gasoline only (Top Tier Gasoline).

14. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I use 87 octane. It's not a high compression engine. (am I a cheapass?)
    The theory was: some owners might have the gas in the tank for up to a year before the car goes through a FMM (fuel maintenance mode) to use up the old gas.
    I won't be one of those owners. I like road trips.
    Still get 37-40 mpg depending on if I'm flogging it, towing a motorcycle size camper trailer, temp, wind, the usual variables.
    Of course this is only on road trips. I can drive months without that stinker firing up !!

Modern engines are not going to get into knocking due to low octane. They don't allow that.

On electric I like to say "It's like getting a 70% off gas coupon"!!

15. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No reason not to use 87 if you'll be using it on a regular basis... like you said, the knock sensor will detune the engine as (or if) needed to prevent knock.
    I'd still go with Top Tier though. Around here BP (which is Top Tier) is the same price as no-name stations.

16. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I love the concept of the Volt and would love to own an extended range plug in, but between the lack of a bench for the back seat (my 50 lbs hound dog loves lying in the back seat) and the larger size (I prefer a small hatch/coupe so the Prius is my ideal size car) I just couldn't bring myself to getting one. Hopefully the 4th gen PIP will have extended EV range and in a few years I will be even on my loan on my 2010 Prius. If I can have a Prius with 60 miles EV range, I'd do cartwheels to the dealership. My work commute sometimes takes me 60-70 miles a day so that'd perfect. I could get by with some charge time between work locations, but it'd be nice to have more than just a dozen miles of EV range.

But on the original note, congrats on your Volt. It is a sporty car. GM has really stepped up their game over the past couple of years and they make a compelling product. I also like how onStar ties in so well with your smart phone and the display in your car so you can monitor your car's vitals and start/stop , heat/cool, lock/unlock remotely.

17. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Dave!
    I agree... GM did a great job on the Volt. My car literally has no defects. No rattles, nothing is loose, and the fit and finish is excellent. One really amazing thing it how light and nimble the Volt seems- it's got way more power accelerating than the Prius- and you can floor it and the ICE still doesn't come on. But that's what happens when you have a huge 16.5kWh battery.

I don't think 60 or even 40 EV miles is doable in the current Prius configuration- or even Gen IV unless it's radically different than Gen III. The reason the Volt has only has seating for 2 in the rear is the "T" shape of the big battery which passes through the middle of the rear seats. Toyota wold really have to change the Prius around to fit a battery in there that's 4X to 6X bigger than the current one in the PIP.

18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Homage to a vehicle of GM's past.
    [​IMG]

Cristino likes this.
  19. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I always wondered what happened to the EV1. After it came out, I was really hopeful that the electric car revolution was mere years away.

20. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Were any of the EV1's unaccounted for after GM recalled them?