1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loving the Volt!

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by ny_rob, Mar 25, 2014.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    All were accounted for.

2. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    H. Dave,
    You must see the movies 'Who Killed the Electric Car' and there is a new one 'Revenge of the Electric Car'.
    Really pisses me off about GM, but then,,, they are now leading the way once again!

Go look at a Volt. Flop down the back seats, but a small pillow in the shallow dip between the two seat backs, throw down a dog blanket and my hounds love it! Although I still have to lift the small one.

Another thing with this car and I guess any EV is, you can back out of your drive, floor it and leave the neighborhood silently!! In any temperature.
    No such thing as a warm up to go easy on the old fashioned ICE.

I think there are just a few EV1's in museums and one university supposedly has one on the road but with different running gear.

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it's been very cold here... 18F yesterday, 26F this morning and below freezing a couple of mornings last week- and my estimated full charge EV range is still at 38 miles.
    Outstanding!

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The reason to use premium over regular is due to the engine being being more efficient and powerful with premium. With traditional cars that use both, the increased fuel economy from premium can mean an equal or lower cost per mile than using regular. The usual YMMV variables apply along with what the price difference between the fuel grades. Only testing will determine how works for an individual.

GM has had concepts using the skateboard battery configuration before Tesla's success. The only block to them using it in the next generation is the publicity of the Tesla fires.

5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've seen many reports which say that's not the case - here's the California Energy Commission:
    Regular Versus Premium Gasoline

And the FTC:
    Paying a Premium for High Octane Gasoline? | Consumer Information

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Your links are talking about using premium in a car where regular is what the manufacturer recommends*. A low compression engine can't take advantage of higher octane, and that will be a waste of money.

I'm saying using the higher, recommended, octane will give better performance and can lead to better efficiency then putting in regular. The efficiency difference can negate, or even exceed the price difference. So putting regular into a premium recommended engine likely won't save any money, and might even end up costing a tiny bit more than just using the higher octane. It all depends on how much an improvement the higher octane yields and the price difference.

*With cars and engines being designed for global applications, it is possible an engine is actually premium fuel, but labeled regular for marketing reasons depending on region.

7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Oh, sure, no argument with that. Reading back through the thread I see you were probably replying to post #14, but with no quote it wasn't obvious.

8. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    91 octane = higher resistance to detonation vs. 87 octane. As far as better performance with 91 octane - that's is so 1970s' thinking and rational, and outdated.

It is more important to use a top tier gasoline in your vehicle.

Todays' ems (engine mgnt system) adjusts via various computers to maintain efficiency. 87 octane is fine, 91 octane is a waste of money.

But hey, its' your hard earned money, if you want to throw away $$$ on 91 octane - go right ahead.

DBCassidy

Try the Model S for a test drive after loving the Volt.

Then see if you still really love the Volt.

(Hint: the Model S will make your head spin!).;)

DBCassidy

9. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still have two kids to put through college- one starting this fall and the other starting fall of 2015- so I love the Volt!

My wife saw a Model S this morning- even she commented how sharp it was!

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The increased resistance to detonation allows the use of higher compression ratios. Higher compression ratios mean higher expansion ratios. The longer that expansion stroke, the more chemical energy in the gasoline that is converted into mechanical energy that moves the car along. The increased thermal efficiency does lead to a slight increase in power.
    Atkinsonized engines have the long expansion stroke, but the compression stroke is shorter. This gives efficiency at the expense of power.
    Direct injection allows the use of lower octanes with higher compression ratios. It gives the benefit of a port injected premium fueled engine with lower operating cost. When made for premium fuel, they can can have even larger compression ratios. The SkyActiv-Gs run 13:1 compression in the US. In Japan, where regular is higher octane, Mazda runs these engines at 14:1. A potential issue for DI engines is particulate emissions.
    The Model S would be a better car for a majority here.
    I assume the OP didn't have the extra $30k minimum laying around it though.

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a list of the top tier gasolines. I'm surprised Sunoco's not on it.
    Top Tier Gasoline

12. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A Tesla is just a bigass BEV.
    It comes standard equipment with "Range Anxiety".
    You can't hop in a Tesla and take off on any road trip to anywhere at a moments notice like you can with a V0lt.

Sure, you can do a cross-continent trip if you take that one route and are careful. Big deal.

What is a big deal is if you live near one of their Supercharger Stations and have a separate road trip car.
    That business model states that Tesla will give you free fuel for life !! How can that really work out?

13. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What?? - the Chevy dealer brought me to the local Sunoco station and filled the Volt with 91 octane the afternoon I picked up the car.

Is that a problem?

14. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't see that as a problem. In my experience and that of many friends, Sunoco is great gas. In fact, I feel it burns better and results in smoother performance than Shell, which many consider to be the best.

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The only gas I am suspicious about is the off name brands.
    Supercharger access isn't free. It is a $2000 option on the car at time of sale. $2500 after the fact. The US average rate for a a kilowatt hour is 11.65 cents. $2000 will buy you over 17,000kWhr at that rate. The least efficient Model S will go over 45k miles on that electricity.

Compared to the few cars using superchargers for all their miles, the majority of those that paid for the supercharger access are only using it for a few hundred to a thousand miles a year. Tesla is making out overall. Then those superchargering all the time might need to replace their battery sooner than if they weren't.

16. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I've seen consistent comments over the years from people who seem credible and in a position to know that essentially all gasoline is the same except for the additives. The "raw" gasoline seems to be commonly traded and exchanged between refineries and brands. The gasoline composition has to meet a bunch of government regulations in California (and probably nationally via EPA?). Each brand has custom detergent and other additives that are mixed in before retail sale and this is what primarily determines how carbon deposits build up in the engine etc. Essentially all gas has basic additives now but the big brands including the ones marketed as Top Tier contain better and fancier stuff.

I've routinely used off name brands like Rotten Robbie, Costco and others in the SF Bay Area without any apparent problems. I also end up using Shell and Chevron from time to time.

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny, they must not have included this 'range anxiety' option you speak of in mine. I have not had it in 36,000 miles of driving Model Ss.

Like any car, it all depends upon your needs. I can drive our Model S anywhere I want to go (work, friends, relatives, Tesla Factory, cabin, etc).

However, this isn't the case for everyone. But then again, it is becoming the case for more and more people every day.

As for not being able to hop in the car and drive anywhere, you can't drive a Volt, Prius or Model S to Hawaii either. That doesn't mean I'm not going to buy which ever one does meet my needs.

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have no problem with using Costco or Giant for gasoline. I was thinking of the cheaper, independent gas stations. Most of which i see in NJ. The gas isn't my concern with them, but the tanks. I've heard stories, and actually knew a guy, of enough water getting from the station tanks to the vehicle to cause problems and stranding.

19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not correct. SC access is an option in the 60kWh models. It is included in the price of the 85kWh and performance models. Sure, it is baked into the price, but it is not an extra option.

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ok, but it still isn't something Tesla is going to lose money on because of the few that can use a supercharger for all their charging.