1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loving the Volt!

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by ny_rob, Mar 25, 2014.

1. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Before spouting pure ignorance, you should at least attempt to fact find...
    View attachment 64818
    1.jpg
    2014 Vehicle Dependability Study | J.D. Power

The Volt was first in overall dependability. It tied the Prius in two categories- and outright beat it in the other two out of four. You can verify that if you open the link in your browser!
    The Volt's overall score was 19 out of 20.
    The Prius overall score was 16 out of 20 (same as the Ford Focus).

Do you care about that??

Merkey, Jeff N and Ursamajor like this.
  2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Be careful, the list is in alphabetical order by made, not by ranking.

3. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    True, but Volt does score better overall than the 16 other cars in that category and the same or better than the 2014 Prius in all component area columns.

Motors, motor controllers, inverters from Hitachi:

News Releases : Hitachi Automotive Systems, Ltd.

Current production from GM in Mexico (Ramos):
    Google Translate

This information on this Google translated Mexican news website is pretty obviously derived from a page on GM's Mexico website but I can't give you a link to it right now since I'm using my phone and the GM site insists on redirecting me to mobile version which doesn't have that page.

Also, this official GM engine and transmission summary shows assembly site information for the Volt separately at the very bottom of page 2 and lists "GMPT Ramos Mexico" but does not list Japan:

http://gmpowertrain.com/Libraries/Product_information/2013_4FRev_Information_Guide_091012.sflb.ashx

Update:

Here's the translated version of GM's Mexico website that lists the 4ET50 Volt Transaxle as being assembled at the Ramos Arizpe factory:

Google Translate: www.gm.com.mx

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I'll fix my post to reflect that.

5. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, the Volt may get good "dots" on the above, but the corporation (GM) gets a BIG minus. Why, look at the shadow the Volt is always in - the hidden ignition switch fiasco, congressional dismay (I am being polite here) over the taxpayers bailout, the "forgiveness" of letting GM off the hook for 10 -12 billion.

Try explaining why the Volt is a good GM product to the families who lost loved ones due to the ignition switch issues. Yes, Toyota had to come clean with the so called "sudden acceleration" issues. At least Toyota did not knowingly cover it up for 10 years.

Bottom line: the Volt maybe a nice product for some people, but the corporation that makes it is rotten from the inside out.

I applaud Mary Barra for taking steps to remove this corporate decay and try to rebuild it. What will be a tougher task is to rebuild the GM image.

Time will tell.

DBCassidy

Merkey likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Saw this article in the NY Times a few days ago, about volt drivers not wanting the ice to come on:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/automobiles/owners-who-are-happy-when-the-engine-doesnt-start.html?hp&_r=1
    Some talk bout range anxiety for Electric cars ... but from article it appears they are describing the opposite .... gas anxiety.
    :confused:

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Saw this article in the NY Times a few days ago, about volt drivers not wanting the ice to come on, because in part, their efficiency display will show they use gas:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/automobiles/owners-who-are-happy-when-the-engine-doesnt-start.html?hp&_r=1
    Some talk bout range anxiety for electric cars ... but from this article it appears they are describing the opposite .... gas anxiety from their plugin ... stress at the thought you may have to have the ICE come on ... or that you DID in fact use gas for your car's actual movement .... as though such reality brings shame. Why should that matter.

dbcassidy likes this.
  8. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The GM bashing and Toyota flag waving gets pretty old. All cars have issues. I like my Prius. Guess what I also like my Chevy Equinox. I have not had a GM car over a period of 30 years that did not give me good service for 140,000 miles or more.

The Prius is a good car but there are many good cars today. My daughters 2007 Corolla has required more service/repairs than any of the GM cars we have owned and it has less than 50,000 miles on it. The Corolla has required less service/repairs than our BMWs!!

Ursamajor likes this.
  9. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I buy cars--not corporations.

As you say, time will tell.

So far my Volt leaves me with no regrets.

10. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    The Volt shows what GM is capable of and that there are/were good engineers and line employees at GM. It's not easy to produce a car as complex as the Volt with zero defects off the assembly line.

I had two Prius's over the span of 24 months- neither ever had to go back to the dealership nor required repairs.
    I've had the Volt two months, no defects so far, nothing requiring repairs or a trip back to the dealership.

Both good cars... and no reason for any owner to bash the others over their choice of vehicle.

Ursamajor likes this.
  11. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    And as far as the drivers with any anxieties...
    All cars probably have 'certain' OCD owners getting vocal about ,,, whatever makes them tick.

Although, it does ruin my whole day when that smelly little gas burner comes on and I'm only 1/4 mile from home.

12. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you buy a product, be it a car or other products, you are "buying in" to the corporation that produced it. Combination of verbal / written agreement consummates the business transaction. An agreement / relationship is created between the involved parties. This holds true for cash, loan, or leasing.

Even if a consumer purchases a product "as is" and/or "all sales are final, no refunds" , limited recourse is still available to the consumer. Depending on the state, he / she may be able to seek compensation for damages incurred thru the courts. Yes, burden of proof rests with the complaintant to satisfy the court to move forward with their case.

The only time a product is not attached to a corporation is when the product is acquired by illegal means.

Consumers (this means you) need to be better informed of their rights when dealing with corporations.

DBCassidy

13. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WOW!, a new acronym has evolved: VGA - Volt Gas Anxiety! :eek:

There has to be an app and / or and Rx for proper treatment.

DBCassidy

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Sheesh another double post

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I'd make the acronym more generic ... PGA - for plugin gas anxiety ... not to be confused with golfing
    :D

dbcassidy likes this.
  16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Two third of US electricity is being generated from fossil fuel. The bright side is the other 1/3.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    94% EV and only 97 MPGe?

Considering the electricity takes 2x the energy to produce a gallon equivalent, that's about 49 gas MPG equivalent.

Different stroke for different folks.

dbcassidy likes this.
  18. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Your mixing and matching two separate data snapshots. Look more closely and you will see that the 94% electric miles was a lifetime statistic but the 97 MPGe is the average from the last 30 days.

The last 30 day average shows him as 90% electric.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks. Why is the lifetime MPGe blank?

dbcassidy likes this.
  20. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    It's probably due to incomplete data. OnStar has been having some problems with their Volt efficiency statistics in recent months. That image is from the MyVolt.com website run by OnStar that allows you to login and see various statistics about your specific car based on data automatically downloaded every day.

I'm hoping they will spend some more money in preparation for the 2nd gen Volt rollout and fix some of the bugs in the OnStar server software.