1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low availability: normal?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by JeremyM09, Jun 19, 2019.

1. JeremyM09

JeremyM09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm looking to replace my current vehicle in the next couple weeks. (We don't have a Prius or Toyota) We went to a dealership yesterday based on the Toyota Camry Hybrid in the April, 2019 Consumer Reports but also to look at the Prius because of it's write-up in the magazine. Test drove both and honestly am leaning towards the Prius.

I'm surprised by the lack of inventory, actually of both vehicles. For the Prius LE with front wheel drive there's only 11 within 100 miles and 3 are red which is no. (I'm right next to Cleveland). The dealer said they'll try to trade with a dealership if I find something I like but that's not a lot possibilities. In fact, to test drive it the dealer only had one Prius and it was in the middle of the showroom. My 9 year old loved watching them rearrange cars to get it outside.

Is this normal? I think I've figured out that the 2019s arrived in January, 2019 and the 2020 are most likely October so they're months away, that can't be it. I might consider a Prius Prime but there isn't one within 150 miles of here.

I usually try to ask several dealerships for their best price on a specific car, features, etc. via e-mail and then go with the lowest. I don't see that working in this case. Any thoughts or insight? Thanks!

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Welcome! It isn't gas prices or tax benefits! No idea.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    prius sales are declining each year, so dealers are reluctant to inventory them. gas prices have a lot to do with it.
    suvs and trucks are very popular right now.

the new rav4 hybrid is selling well, but at 40mpg, they can't make them fast enough.

toyota has said that the next generation prius is going to have to be awesome to sell any.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm afraid to think what Toyota Japan's concept of "awesome" is.

bisco likes this.
  5. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    11 cars within a 100 mile radius, of a specific trim level and the next-to-lowest trim level at that, is not unusual. If I search cars.com for LE FWD Prius within 100 miles of Seattle, for instance, there are only 5 cars.

I would still email the dealers asking for a price on the trim, color, and options you want, and see what you get back. If that doesn't work, you'll have to either expand what you're willing to buy (and your budget accordingly) or go further afield to get what you wanted originally. Good luck!