1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low beam headlights burning out

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ricksprius, Jun 9, 2012.

1. ricksprius

ricksprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have had my 2010 just under 2 years. Have about 61k on it.

A couple of months ago, the passenger side low beam lamp went out. When I tapped it, the tiny bulb on top of it went back on, but not the low beam lamp. High beams were fine.

Took it to the dealer asking them to check for a short. They said there was none, it was just the bulb.

Tonight, same thing except on the driver side. Tapped it and the small bulb went on, but not the regular one.

I am finding it odd that both bulbs would burn out like that. One, maybe, but two so soon...?

Anyone had similar issues?

I had my '03 for seven years and 112k and never had an issue with the lights. Very few issues overall with that.

Any input is appreciated.

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    did you search? I remember a long discussion in the past.

3. ricksprius

ricksprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes I did. Didn't come up with anything. Will try again. Thanks.

4. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ricks - I've always said that when you have bulbs in pairs, it's inevitable that when one goes out the other is usually soon to follow. Did your Gen 2 have the HID bulbs or halogen? Have you been driving with your lights on more with the 2010?

5. ricksprius

ricksprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Actually, my other Prius was a Gen1, 2003 that had DRLs. This model does not have DRLs. So, yes, I was driving with the lights on all the time. I guess I don't understand why these would go so quickly and my 2003's didn't.

I went to NAPA and got a new lamp today for $16 and installed it with no issue. I had the dealer do the passenger sid eone when it went out because I wanted them to check for shorts. They charged me $70 to change it.

I'm still not convinced 100% that it was only the bulbs. The fact that on both sides, the parking light was also off and when I tapped the glass, the parking bulb went on leads me to believe it was more than the bulb.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see what goes out next.

Thanks for all the help.

6. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had my driver side driving light go out at 84,000 miles (3 years old). The passenger light has not gone out yet.

7. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry, I ready 2003, and thought Gen 2 lol. I've had issues periodically where my parking lights on top wouldn't be on, and a small tap on the glass helped. Not sure what the deal is with that, but interesting that I've experienced it before too.

If you drove with your lights on all the time, it's not overly surprising you had them burn out at 60k miles on the car. DRLs usually used high beams at like 40% power, so they'd last a lot longer than just running low beams, too.

8. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Those marker lights have a wedge base that only has a small contact point. I have found that dust can work its way into the socket, at some point the you may get a arc the fuses the dust into a very efficient insulator. Taping the light housing can restore the connection. I have replaced the #168 bulbs on my Gen II with clear LEDs on the front and RED LEDs for the tail lights. My wife's 2008 Gen II running full time with headlights on had burned out the ALL the bulbs after 25K miles.

My 2010 Gen III's uses a similar 2825 wedge base bulb for the front sidemarker and taillight. I replaced the sidemarker bulbs with 5000k LEDs to match the HID conversion and red LEDs for the tail lights.

I suggest you check the tail lights to make sure they still work. It's important to use RED LEDs when replacing the tail lights - clear LEDs have much less red wave length than incandescent bulbs and will be much too dim when used in a red housing.

9. ricksprius

ricksprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Thanks for the suggestion. Great idea. Just checked and the tail lights all look good.

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. johnbonnie3

johnbonnie3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the same problem with my 2010. The headlights have gone out in the past 6 months and I can't keep the little bulbs working. Just keep replacing, yes I drive with my lights on for safety

12. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is there a notice on the dash telling you they aren't working or do you have to notice it yourself from outside the car?
    My previous car checked all the lights at startup and told you if there was a failure somewhere

13. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    DRL normally use the high beam lamp at reduced voltage --- The high beam does not have restricting optics -- so it is visible to oncoming traffic. This has nothing to do with your low beam. Some bulbs just don't last as long - and some don't last as long in particular cars. When we used to have a small fleet of Mercury Sables w/o DRL .....company policy was to always drive with headlights on -- some of the cars went through a couple of sets in the five years we had them and others none ... and the replacements all came from the same case box! Also ....as the bulbs age the light output drops ... so it is not a bad idea to replace them every 4-5 years if you do a lot of night driving.

14. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just had the car inspected and now the driver's side low beam is out at 38,000 miles. not happy, I'm having deja vu from the HID problem.... wish I had the energy to replace it myself but I have one too many things going on right now!

15. ricksprius

ricksprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I only noticed at night while I was pulling into my driveway. Not aware of any dashboard indicator.

16. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Went to Pep Boys, 14.99 for the bulb and they installed it in a minute.
    I did not notice anything light on the dash either.
    Johnbonnie, I'm wondering if you can try a different brand of bulb, maybe you're getting cheap ones...

17. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Actually this came up when we were having problems with the HID headlights. The Federal transportation safety bureau has a form to fill out to report possible safety defects. If you have a problem with the bulbs burning out frequently you might report it there. If many people report the same problem they investigate it.

18. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is not the same as the HID problem. Some of the Halogen bulbs have a life that is twice that of others -- but the light output is lower on the long life bulbs. So if you purchase the more expensive high output bulbs - do not expect the same output. The german osram bulbs are very good -- also sold under sylvania .. if you read the fine print.

19. f64club

f64club Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I have had the same issue with my '07.
    I have replaced my driver's side three times in the past year and a half and my passenger's side twice in the same time span. The rear tail lights have gone out twice each as well.
    I have tried bulbs from Toyota, GE & JC Whitney; doesn't matter.
    Changed my battery under the mfg warranty, JIC.
    Each time Highway Patrol pulls me over, they ask if I change bulbs frequently?
    All officers say they constantly pull over Priusi (sp) for lighting fix-its.
    Doubt very much Toyota will recall for this issue...
    They can give us the QR Code and a car that gets awesome mileage but they can't give me functioning headlights or an on-board computer that tells me how many miles I can go until empty, WTH?

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If your car has 61,000 miles and your lights are on all the time this equates at normal average speeds and allowing time for stop signs traffic lights ect well over 2000hrs of use. The old style house incandescent bulb would not last this long even though it did not have to put up with the mechanical vibration and shock that a car bulb does. The technology is exactly the same. If there is any difference it is that the car bulb is usually driven harder "filament runs hotter" to give out a whiter brighter light and it's supply voltage in percentage terms is much less stable, usually varying by 20%. Car bulbs also have to put up with higher thermal shock being used outdoors. So to sum up I think 2000+ hrs is very good.