1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

low coolant, no leaks

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by thomassster, Mar 3, 2022.

1. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How would you tell the difference between antifreeze and the water created from the catalytic converter

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Similarly if the head is warped - the leak comes by way of steam bypassing head gasket) that funnels through the exhaust system. Just read that recently.

3. dacoobob

dacoobob Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Toyota coolant is bright pink. When it leaks into the exhaust the liquid evaporates and leaves behind pink crystal residue and stains.

4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That would be a long way to go with a borescope, since the heat exchanger is located between the drivers and passenger seat in that center hump. Next time your under the car, it's right behind the CAT - you'll see the inlet and outlet coolant hoses. :D

5. dacoobob

dacoobob Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    that's how my mechanic diagnosed my leaky heat exchanger. not sure if he used an extra-long borescope probe, or just disconnected the cat to take a look. either way the leak was obvious visually.

6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm sorry, but your mechanic may be "pulling your leg". I don't know how anyone can push a scope through your CAT or your muffler to "eyeball" the heat exchanger.:(:cry:
    It can be done, but would require some cutting and welding; which would be free and on his "dime"; if the customer declines the repair. I know I would be pretty P.O.ed if someone cut my exhaust system in half and said pay me 2K or get it out of here.

#26 BiomedO1, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  7. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    How is the coolant level behaving since the dealer repair? Some 2020 Primes have the same problem. Very common.

8. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I was monitoring for about a month and no really major difference. I haven’t been monitoring it after. It’s tough to say whether the repair made any difference but for me,but it was good piece of mind and glad Toyota decided to cover it for me.

bisco likes this.