1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low fuel warning light question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MontyB, Sep 16, 2016.

1. MontyB

MontyB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sighting some of these number from memory as I do not have my owner's manual in front of me.
    My understanding is that my '08 Prius holds 11.8 gals of fuel. My further understanding is that the low fuel warning indicator is supposed to come on when the remaining fuel level gets down to 3 gallons.
    After allowing several different tanks of gas get down to the one "bar" level of fuel remaining on the gas gauge I have yet to ever have the low fuel indicator come on.
    For obvious reasons I am reluctant to allow the fuel to get any lower than the one "bar" indication on the fuel gauge.
    On a couple of occasions I have put as much as 11 gallons of fuel in the tank upon fill up. For these reasons I believe my low fuel indicator is inoperative.
    Can someone give me some insight based on their own experience as to how much fuel is left in their tank when the low fuel warning indicator comes on?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is no light in the Gen 2.

The last bar blinks just before you run out. (somewhere between 7 and 30 miles after it starts blinking in my experience)

The North American Gen 2 Prius has a flexible bladder inside the metal tank. How flexible varies by temperature. In MS in summer I could get 11 gallons in it. In Winter, 8 gallons was full. (Your winters are likely colder than mine)

For this reason, the safest way to drive a Gen 2 is to always get gas at 2 pips, unless you have a station every block to push it to.

In summer you may drive 160 miles before the first pip disappears, in winter 40. While the bladder did an excellent job of pollution control, it makes knowing when to refuel difficult. It also can make slow to refuel, my advice is to open the gas cap before paying, the 3 minutes will help.

#2 JimboPalmer, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    srellim234 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what jim said^ it sounds like you're getting the most from your bladder, so i wouldn't push it. the manual is correct in a perfect world, but not in the real world.
    my gen 2's always started blinking the last bar after it was done, accompanied by a very quick, quiet short beep. and then they would take around 10 gallons, so i figured there were about 2 left. i guess i was lucky.

unfortunately, with such a poor notification system, the burden is on the driver to know when to fill up. maybe toyota doesn't like to advertise that a prius can ever need gas.:cool:

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You really don't need a "low warning" light. The one bar you're showing is a pretty good indicator to fill up.

When I get to the point where my 1 remaining bar starts blinking, it usually has about 80 miles left on it before it runs empty. However that is not always accurate, the bladder tank is very unpredictable. Best to fill up when you get to about 1 bar on your gauge.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @MontyB

Jimbo and Bisco pretty much summed every thing up IMO. The only thing I might add is to fill the bladder SLOWLY and try not to top off. If you do sooner or later you will take a bath in gas. And I do mean bath, as that thing will burp and throw up if you overfill it.

Best of luck to you and "Welcome to Prius Chat"! (y)

6. MontyB

MontyB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Best regards from Michigan.

bisco likes this.
  7. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Especially in Michigan, you shouldn't pass a station after being down to the last blinking bar. The Prius manual states, once the bar is blinking, you have "3 gallons, or less". Usually less. I've found about 1.8. Those in cold climates have reported none, within a mile or two they were out.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Total agreement.