1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Humming Noise?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ElusiveIllusion, Jan 25, 2018.

1. ElusiveIllusion

ElusiveIllusion New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all, wanted to check in again. I drive a red 2008 prius. I previously wrote in about my dashboard issue, which has since been fixed and replaced. Now, I've run into a different issue.

This might be a question that's been answered but, I recently started hearing a low humming noise at speeds above 35 mph. I ran into this issue before when I first bought my car last year and we replaced the drivers side wheel bearing, but what's different with this sound is, it's pretty low and I'm not sure if it's normal or just a wheel bearing going bad again or something more sinister?

I only started to notice these sounds when:
    1. My tire pressure became low, I went over massive potholes, and NJ had a very chilly cold snap for about two weeks. ( This issue caused me to replace my two front tires because my drivers side one became too worn from the recent driving and wouldn't hold air anymore.)
    2. I usually listen to audiobooks during my commute and haven't been able to replace the current book I finished yet, which has me freaking about all the new noises I now notice while driving now, LOL
    If this is a wheel bearing issue, is it something that can wait a few months when the weather is warmer and I have a little more money saved to fix? Will it get worse since it's winter? Could it be anything else?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could it be the two new tires making the noise?

Even new tires can make noises (tread pattern, break in, etc), or can be shipped and installed with defects.

You can try asking the tire shop to take it for a spin (with you in the car) and see what they think the noise is. You might also search for your make/model and exact size of tire online for user reviews, sometimes owners post how noisy a new tire is.

You could also try moving the new tires to a different axle and see if that changes things. If the noise follows the tires then you know where the problem lies. The tire shop might be willing to help you do this, especially if they think/say it is a bad bearing.. as they will no longer be on the line for the potentially defective tire(s).

Otherwise it might be one of those potholes you hit damaged one (or more) of your wheel bearings.

How many miles on the vehicle?

Has the trans fluid ever been replaced?

3. ElusiveIllusion

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your feedback! It started happening before we replaced the tires :unsure: I thought maybe the noise would diminish once I got the two new tires but when I drove today the noise was still there.

I have about 92,000-ish miles on the car and I believe the trans fluid was just replaced after I accepted a full service from the dealership when I got my dashboard combo meter replaced. I'm thinking it probably is one of the wheel bearings going bad again, it just stinks since we just replaced one last year that sounded much worse. :(

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are toyota wheel bearings a design that rolls easier, but at the expensive of longevity? I've heard something like this. Never had a wheel bearing problem with a slew of Hondas, in the past. Maybe easier rolling bearings are being adapted by all manufacturers now, to meet fuel economy standards, so they're all shite now?

ElusiveIllusion likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many reports of humming coming from the passenger side from failed transmission. This would have a master caution triangle and the turtle on the mfd as it will have a shorted mg winding. It would also have drivibility issues.
    There's also been a few differential bearing failures probably from lack of fluid maintenance. You mentioned trans fluid. What was the circumstance for that replacement?

6. ElusiveIllusion

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently received service from the dealership after they replaced the combo meter in my dash. They changed fluids and cleaned the inside out since there was a build up of gunk and stuff. I bought the car in April 2017 and it supposedly sat in the sellers lot for a year, the private dealer using the car on occasion. He said he used to service it for the previous owner. Unfortunately something happened to her and the car wound up with him.

So, since it sat for a bit, I agreed to the tune up. I have not gotten any warning lights and my driving is OK, just losing the usual MPGs because it's winter. I haven't lost much tho, just 4 miles.

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here is a simple test for wheelbearing noise.

The right wheelbearing was noisy.

8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles on her? (…sorry, I nicked @bisco 's line! ) I would go for tyres or bearings, but I suppose if you're really stumped you might try a sheet of paper with the words clearly printed on it taped to the dash! :eek:

bisco likes this.
  9. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wot! No axle-stands? :eek::eek::eek: You, sir, are a braver man than I! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: (…an' who the hell is OSHA, anyway?) ;)

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah its probably wheel bearings thats a common issue with a G2. You mentioned trans fluid and I went uh oh..lol.

Good luck.

11. Pro-289

Pro-289 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have an '08 too and used to notice humming noise at 50mph and at 60mph the loudest near the back what I could tell. Right when I'd get to about 59 it would start to get loud and at 60 it be very loud. Then at 61 or 62 it would taper off. Then come and go at other speeds.

My front left tire was showing metal, I've had issues with leaks, so I just got 4 new tires today and the hum is gone at all speeds. So I'd say if anyone else gets this issue then check the age and tread of your tires. Maybe they're getting too old and need replacing.