1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Idle/Intermittent Engine Idle :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tonyBBQ, Jun 19, 2017.

1. tonyBBQ

tonyBBQ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone,

I went to get an oil change today at a place that's about one notch above Jiffy Lube.

I bought Mobil 1 5-30 and a Mobil 1 oil filter because I planned to change it myself as I have done in the past. However, I was too cheap to buy new car ramps (I moved and didn't bring my old ones) and I wasn't able to find a good curb close to my apartment to pull up on. (which has worked well before!)

OK.

So I get the oil changed and they show me the air filter and I decline a new one blah blah blah.

When I eventually leave and drive down the road a ways I notice that the ICE turns off a lot faster than it used to while driving. However, sometimes at a complete stop it would keep running at a very low idle and it didn't show up on the display that the engine was still on.

I also messed with the engine idle while in park. I would step on the gas to turn the ICE on and it would idle for about three seconds, idle at a lower rpm, then turn off. it just piddled out!

It seems like there is a vacuum leak somewhere, but idk how in the heck they could have screwed something up this bad.

Tomorrow morning I'm taking it to the dealer (reluctantly, because I am broke) to see if it trips a code.

I'm supposed to drive four hours tomorrow for a family emergency and not sure if I will be able to because of this....

Any tips?

Thank you!

Brandon

Ajourney101 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the oil level ok?

3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    It sounds almost like normal operation. Did they put the air filter back in after showing it to you?

Even after owning my Gen 2 for over two years, I still notice new things that it does that is normal for a Prius.

For instance. I used to remember being able to hear the ICE when it runs, even though it was barely audible. Today, when the ICE comes on and turns off, I can barely notice nor hear it and wonder if it has always been like that or I am just imagining being able to hear and feel it in the past.