1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low insurance costs on my Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ataylorracing, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My new 2011 Prius for full coverage costs ONLY about $200 a year more than just liability on my 2001 Voyager that we traded in for it! It is also about $40 a year LESS than just liability on my 2005 Dodge Neon SRT4! This lind of reminds me of when my insurance costs went down when we traded a 99 Miata for an 05 Mustang...it went down then too. I was informed that due to its being a safer car is why the costs remain decent.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moving to the appropriate forum.

Danielsan likes this.
  3. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    save gas, save insurance and this dog doesn't get it!

[​IMG]

4. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We have Progressive which is already preetty low. Has anyone tried their Snapshot device on a Prius for a further discount? We had them connected to a 4 Runner and in a few days it caused several warning lights (Check Engine and some traction control lights) and on a Silverado it caused a 10mph speedo error after about a month. They have been removed and we have a futher 30% discount. I don't want to try one on the Prius because it is so heavily computerized, no telling what might happen.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's affecting the ECU I wouldn't put it in any car. It could simply be draining the battery or it could be transmitting incorrect codes.

My other problem with the device is that the commercials are slightly misleading in showing completely effortless installation.

6. nmeurett

nmeurett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the snapshot in my 2010 prius and all you have to do is plug the thing in it takes 1 min. I have not had any issues with any warning pop up at all. Snapshot is great and if you are a good driver you will save alot of money!

7. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    State Farm raised my rates when I switched from an 03 Mazda to an 09 Prius. $25 more a year.

8. Redryder

Redryder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We put a Snapshot in our 2010 Prius and removed it after the 30 days we understood was the evaluation time . . . Come to find out, Progressive wanted it in for up to 6 months. I wanted to use our Scangauge which uses the port so I took the Snapshot out. Gave up on the discount but now have the info from the Scangauge. Didn't know at the time there is a "splitter" for the port that would have let me run both. Maybe I'll look into that. Progressive was still lower than our previous insurance company but the rate went up when we covered the Prius and traded in the Santa Fe. Would have thought it should drop . . .

9. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So what does Snapshot do? Forward alerts to the ins. co when you're speeding?

10. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It does record time of day, distance traveled which is what Progressive claims to use for discount, it also records speed. You can see some nice little graphs displayed on your acccount page on their website. It has some sort of cell phone (ATT?) built into it.

11. Redryder

Redryder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It also records "hard brakes" which are defined as dropping more than 7 MPH/second. The more hard brakes can equate to less cautious driving. Also time of day is important as some time periods are defined as high risk, e.g., midnight to 4AM.

12. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems to me that the less an insurance company has on you the better. Trust me, I'm in the industry.

13. itengineer

itengineer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    exactly - that's why I passed on progressive and chose Geico instead.
    My 6 month premium on a 2011 Prius is $100 less than a 1999 V6 Camry

:D

14. Buffet

Buffet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems not happen to me,
    State farm:
    2008 Prius:
    A 30/60/50 $90.41
    H 100 $3.00
    U-M 30/60/50 $0.00

1990 Integra:
    A 30/60/50 $69.60
    H100 $3.00
    U-M 30/60/50 $20.00

1997 Camry:
    A 30/60/50 $65.05
    H100 3.00
    U-M 30/60/50 0.00

Shall I argue to state farm?

15. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What is 30/60/50 ? Is that what I think it is -- Is that legal in NC ... actually ......... what is the 50?

And why no UM?

16. Buffet

Buffet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am not sure what is that 50
    Anyway it's liability which needed in NC at least,
    And the UM will be some if I add this car in as integra UM cover only to camry

Just feel odd why the Prius liability cost is higher then those old car...:mad::(:confused:

17. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    30/60/50 is your liability coverage amount. (Maximum payout to others if you were the cause of an accident)
    It translates to $30,000/$60,000/$50,000 worth of coverage.
    The first column is the maximum amount covered for bodily injury per person, the second column is the maximum amount covered for bodily injury per incident, the third column represents the maximum amount covered for property damage.

In other words, if you hurt ONE person, the MOST they will pay is $30k.
    If you hurt TWO people, the most they will pay is $30k each, then your coverage is exhausted.
    If you hurt THREE people, their settlement must not exceed $60k all together and each person's claim cannot exceed $30k.
    The property damage limit is self explanatory.

Buffet, I dont want to play your insurance agent here, but if you're 30/60/50, you are WAY under insured. I highly recommend you raise your liability limits to a minimum of 100/300/50.

1 person likes this.
  18. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The 50 had me confused ......we don't express it that way.

And I agree it is not enough insurance -- how does NC do PIP?

Not only do you need more coverage -- you have to have UI/UM at the underling coverage.. And today 100/300 is really a minimum. Without UM if someone hits you with no insurance -- all you have is ,,,,,,,, zero.

1 person likes this.
  19. Buffet

Buffet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the advice!
    Just... Question is the cost not the coverage enough or not....:)

20. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You have to compare coverage and prices between companies -- I have no idea what is included in the quotes.

Buying insurance requires some knowledge and that is why you should get a quote from a few agents. The online sites can be a bit confusing when you are starting out. Some companies are just more expensive.

I always use a top company and get high limits with high deductibles. I'm not concerned about a rock hitting my windshield or a burn on my carpet - you want to make sure you have the coverage when you have a major loss.

Some companies make you use aftermarket parts after a collision -- use betterment -- give you $20.00 a day when you get rental reimbursement .......etc etc.

1 person likes this.