1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low inverter coolant question

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by SuperGLS, Jul 14, 2019.

1. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Been a while since I’ve posted, hello again! My wife’s second Prius lease ended and she went with a lease on an Ioniq Electric. It’s only been a couple weeks and the inverter coolant light came on and sure enough, when we looked at the coolant reservoir it’s below the minimum level mark.

I looked at the owners manual and it says you can simply fill it back up to the max level with distilled water. Is that right when it’s so low? It also talks about doing a mix of coolant and distilled water one section over. The dealer wasn’t open today for service and my wife has a packed schedule tomorrow that she can’t cancel. We are hoping to make it to Tuesday. Any advice?

Pages 7-12 through 7-15 (pdf pages 409-412) deal with coolant maintenance.

https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/content/dam/hyundai/us/myhyundai/glovebox-manual/2019/ioniq-ev/2019%20Ioniq%20EV%20OM.pdf

Thanks in advance!

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would do what it says. Just add distilled water. Before you do, mark where the low level is - right on the side of the reservoir - so your service center can more easily determine what's going on. It may have been low already, needing just a teeny bit more leakage to bring up the idiot light.

SuperGLS likes this.
  3. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. I’ve just done that after doing a bunch more research online in addition to your advice.

We’ve only had the car 3 weeks. My wife did notice some leaking, but we thought it was the normal AC type leaking. Hopefully it’s a quick fix at the dealer for her.