1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Mileage on PiP basic 2012

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PriusPlug, Jan 1, 2013.

1. PriusPlug

PriusPlug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I live in NJ. Have about 980 miles on ODO. Bought the PiP basic early Dec. Fuel consumption shows 20% EV and 80% HV. Filled in Gas twice in Dec. Early on tire pressure was very low (32/33). Pumped it up to 40 now. But still don't see great mileage as everyone is reporting.

Car is primarily driven by my wife to work (9.9 miles 1 way). I charge it every nite full. So I am assuming that EV miles are used for atleast going to work. There is no charging facility at her work. The speed range in our area is about 50 MPH with traffic lights. Lot of stops/accelerations do occur.

Any ideas how we can get better mileage or given the area it is not going to get any better?.

Thanks

2. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's been my experience (I talk to anyone at a gas station, store etc who owns a Prius) that women don't seem to care about mileage. Other than to say, "Hey, it's great compared to my old car."

Ask her how she drives would be my first thought. I know my wife HATES to drive my PIP since she's scared she'll use some gas....lol....and I'll yell at her she says.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What is the MPG you are averaging?

A regular Prius will tend to get low 40's in the winter.

With a plug and modest use of the heater (avoiding the "HI" setting and maximum blower) you'll exceed 60. Traveling roughly 4 times your distance daily, recharging twice, and dealing with colder conditions, I'm seeing around 75 with my well broken-in Prius PHV. In the summer, it's easy to get higher than that.

Andyprius # 1 and JMD like this.
  4. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    order a Tesla for her. :)

5. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm confused, you
    a) told us nothing about how your wife drives
    b) didn't even tell us what mileage you're getting (except that apparently it's not "great", whatever that means)
    …and we're somehow supposed to be able to give you ideas on how to get better mileage? or say that it won't get better? how on earth are we supposed to do that?

6. PriusPlug

PriusPlug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

She does say that it is better than 06 Prius we had :). She of course accelerates faster. The roads in my neighborhood are also 50 mph with traffic lights every 3 or 4 blocks .

7. PriusPlug

PriusPlug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    980 miles with 2 refills should give you a good idea about mpg . Currently the MID shows 51 MPG but in reality it is not giving that much because we have filled up gas twice already. I think we are getting just about 40 MPG. My wife drives the car like a regular car i.e. fast acceleration because she needs to getup to 50 mph+ quickly with the rest of the traffic and then stop again after couple of blocks for traffic lights.

8. PriusPlug

PriusPlug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    waiting for that winning lotto ticket ;).

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds like she is using air heater that turns on the gas engine. Does she know about the electric seat heater?

If the commute is 9.9 miles one way, she should be getting 50% EV. Perhaps there are longer weekend miles in there that drags down the EV ratio.

If she must use air heater, initially switch to HV mode for the first 5 miles and back to EV mode later with heated seat. Repeat the same on the trip back home.

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You didn't buy enough EV range for your needs.

John Hatchett likes this.
  11. If one drives the Pip like a NY Cabdriver, good mileage will never occur. Even the Pip requires conservative driving. Slow and even acceleration and long slow rolls to a stop. Timing light. And never Jack Rabbit Starts. With 50mph limitations, and driving in EV initially. 60-70mpg blended EV/HV should be attainable. Maybe not in Winter, but definitely in Summer. If it can be charged at work also, so much the better. Your wife should ask or initiate. My best leg thus far was 93 mpg for 1100 miles.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I doubt he bought a plugin Prius to get the full EV experience. The purpose of the forum is to share tips to maximize the car. In this case OP wants to get higher MPG with the use of more electricity and less gas.

Warmer climate will increase the EV ratio for sure. Tips and deeper understanding can also help, especiallty in the winter.

I don't think comments like "you did not buy the right car for your need" is constructive. Perhaps they need 50 MPG gas engine for longer weekend trips.

JMD and Tracksyde like this.
  13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's not the OP's compliant/problem and they asked how it could be improved.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Right, they are asking for suggestion and areas where EV isn't possible. How is your suggestion of buying more EV range any helpful?

Perhaps, they need a full mid size interior with 5 seats and a flat cargo floor. My take is that OP bought the right car and asking for suggestions for improvement.

JMD and Tracksyde like this.
  15. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not at all. 2 "refills" on this car corresponds to 17 gallons. That's 57 mpg. I don't understand why you "think" something about your mpg, it's really not that hard to calculate it. In my experience, the numbers you get from the pump are about 5% lower than what the car displays, so in your case, actual mileage would correspond to 48+ mpg, not 40 as you claim.
    I believe the issue here is with the way she drives to work. She needs to stop using the heater and use the seat heater instead. This will allow her to make it to work entirely in EV and should significantly boost mileage. I would also recommend choosing PWR mode for the commute TO work — I have found that acceleration is crazy sluggish in ECO EV mode.
    We had another post just like this a few weeks ago. The OP there disappeared without telling us whether any of our suggestions helped. It would be nice if you could actually try our suggestions and let us know what happens.
    Btw, one thing to do: next time you set the car to charge before a workday, reset the EV driving ratio (press and hold TRIP when viewing it) and then report back to us what it is when she returns from work. It should be 40-50%. If not, something is amiss — maybe your wife is taking lots of midday short trips? Lol.

JMD likes this.
  16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    She is getting great mileage, because in virtually any other car, her driving would net her about 18 MPG.

Either she wants to use the HSI display to learn high mileage habits, or not.

17. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless it was a Volt and she would probably be getting closer to 250 MPG. :)

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PiP gas tank is smaller (10.6 vs 11.9 gallons) so each fill ups are about 8 gallons instead of 10.

Can you take a screenshot of the EV DRIVING RATIO screen? That has a lot of information and we can work off from there. There are two screens (1 and 2) that you can flip with the TRIP button. The one that you have not reset (lifetime) is better. Below is mine, after about 2 months of driving.

[​IMG]

I have no problem accelerating 50+mph in EV mode and keep up with the traffic here. I find ECO mode easier to control and maintain in EV mode. The accelerator mapping becomes less sensitive and it helps to not trigger the ICE.

19. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Besides all the other info requested...

At the end of the day, what is the reported miles remaining before you charge again? What is the miles remaining displayed after a full charge. This will give us an idea of how far she is going on EV each day.

Mike

20. PriusPlug

PriusPlug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Usually in the morning we have a full charge and it shows 11.6 miles (verified). The charging is on timer and ends at 4 AM. Car is taken out of the garage at around 8 am in the morning. Have asked my wife to turn off the fan today and use the seated seats instead and try driving a bit slow (smoother acceleration). Is there an issue with the time gap between charge completion and driving the car?. We are in NJ and the garage is not heated so it gets cold. Here are the images from MiD.

Attached are 3 pictures. Picture1 shows the total EV miles vs HV miles. Prius2 shows just for today (4 EV miles vs 14 HV miles). Interestingly enough it shows 4.2 EV miles left (in Picture3.jpg). Not sure how it happened.

Attached Files: