1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low MPG, Low Acceleration, Battery down to one bar when highway driving, Catalytic Converter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chris Jay, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Chris Jay

Chris Jay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also @andrewclaus thanks for the info about aftermarket cats. The first garage said it would be $600 and just bring it in and they'll put in the cat. The second garage said it would be $250 and to bring in the car a week before the cat gets put on so that they can actually diagnose the problem.

2. y2turbine

y2turbine New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just got a 2005 Prius with 292k miles and same problems. The noise is coming from the timing chain/valve area. I tried cleaning fuel injectors, new spark plugs, cleaning sensors. Battery stays at one bar on highway. Flooring it gives little acceleration. No error codes. 25 mpg/tank.

Did the new cat help?
    My next step is to try more fuel system cleaner. Dont care about the ticking noise but need good mpg.

3. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    VVT Oil Filter? Poor MPG'S?
    https://priuschat.com/index.php?threads/81138/

VVT Oil Filter? Poor MPG'S? Clean the vvt sensor and filter under it. Remove air box left side 1st Cylinder On front of engine Sensor with wire Side mounting book remove bolt twist and pull out Clean oil off and lube with light oil right below that there is a hex bolt Behind that is a filter that's attached to it made of wire clean with copper brush and carburetor cleaner reassemble had a 50% power boost Ticking when cold when away or pinging when cold no power ip hills 5min fix

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Data Daedalus and Aaron Vitolins like this.