1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low oil level check engine light, is lt possible?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ozan, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Ozan

Ozan New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi everyone . I have 200k mile prius 09 . Today check engine light came on and I pulled over , found out there is very low oil in engine . Add some and drove away , later I scanned and found out code p1116 . After I drove like 45 min I turned off and on the car and engine light went off. No low oil pressure light came on . So in this case am confused. Should I be worried ? I dont know what to point to mechanic .
    Can low oil level turn on engine light but not oil pressure light? Thank you

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    P1116 is a code for coolant heat storage system. It has nothing to do with oil level. Problem is most likely intermittent. If the warning light isn't on then you really don't need to fix it.

But you need to check the oil level from dipstick! You need to keep it between minimum and maximum by adding oil if needed. I don't know why people don't do this.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There's no direct link between P1116 and low oil.

But there could be a broader problem causing both symptoms. I know that's not much to go on. Keep up with the oil and continue to monitor.

Keep an eye on that dipstick. Over time you will learn to predict when you need more oil. The low oil pressure warning lamp is not terribly precise- usually it means you are about to permanently damage your engine but sometimes it means the damage has already begun.

And if/when you do see that emergency warning, that is your instruction to top up oil now, shut down and walk to the store for oil if you don't have it in hand.

The goal is to use dipstick checks to ensure you never see that emergency low pressure warning.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What @valde3 and @Leadfoot J. McCoalroller said. You don't ever want to see that low pressure oil light. Low pressure means insufficient lubrication. The only oil level. warning on the Prius is the aforementioned dipstick.

The P1116, as already mentioned, has to do with the engine coolant system. Behind the left front bumper is a coolant "thermos." There's a special valve there and a temperature sensor onthe bottom of the thermos. You access it by removing the plastic splash plate under the front of the car. The sensor is most likely what's throwing the code. It replaced the sensor on my wife's '07 with one from a wrecked car for free. I had the replacement in one hand as I unscrewed the original and popped in the replacement as soon as the old one was out of the way. I only dribbled about a teaspoon of coolant that way.

Attached Files: