1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low rattling noise near the right side of the back seat

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kopite88, Jun 27, 2022.

1. kopite88

kopite88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

My 2013 Prius has been making this low rattling noise (see video attached). It usually only starts 5-10 minutes after I start driving but once it starts, it will keep going. Does anyone have an idea what may be causing this?

Thank you!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hybrid battery cooling fan?

have you ever cleaned it?

how many miles on her?

is it hot there?

kopite88 likes this.
  3. kopite88

kopite88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've never cleaned that fan for the 3 years I've had it. Is it a recommended routine maintenance?
    100,500 miles and I bought it at about 70,000.
    I'm based in NC and daytime temperature has been anywhere between 80 and 95. The car stays inside a garage when not in use.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk if it's in the manual or not. if you did not get a maintenance schedule with the car, go to toyota.com/owners.

it is a good idea to check the intake grille and keep the filter clean. one inspection is usually enough to know if repeated cleanings are necessary and how often.

biggest problems are usually shedding pets and the like.

i can't be sure it is the cooling fan, but it sounds like something might be stuck in there, like a baseball card.
    the sound is very faint on your recording.

i'm trying to think what else is back there. there is a pump for the emmisions system, further back around the axle.

kopite88 likes this.
  5. kopite88

kopite88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your inputs. I do have the manuals and don't see it listed under maintenance schedule. The cabin air filter was changed out at a toyota dealership service center last week but not noise had started happening weeks before that. The noise does sound like what a fan would be making when a piece of paper/card is stuck between the blades. What I don't quite understand is why the noise doesn't typically start until 5-10 minutes into the drive.
    I'll try to make a better recording later but the noise is not very loud at all.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the cabin filter is behind the glove compartment, no relation to the hybrid battery filter, which is located behind the grille in your picture.
    the reason it starts after you have been driving is because it is a 6 speed fan that increases speed with the temperature of the hybrid battery to help keep it cool.
    at low speed, you cannot usually hear it.

kopite88 likes this.
  7. kopite88

kopite88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gotcha, thanks for clarifying! I found this video from NutzAboutBoltz and may try to follow it to access the fan and inspect:

bisco likes this.