1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low rev cold start with delaying engine shutdown

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Anupam, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Anupam

Anupam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello Seniors,

My Prius is having a problem during cold start. When I bought it, the cold start was very energetic with a high rev tone then gradually regulate to a normal pace and petrol engine shuts down. But about 4 months I noticed the tone of the cold start has changed, it starts with a weak and low engine rev and delays to turn off the engine. Today it took about 10 mins to power off the engine. Got 2 months I changed my 12V battery (Bosch now), thought that these symptoms was to notify that battery is failing. But the problem is persistent despite I put new battery..

I need a help to sort out this issue. I rely on your help and support friends.

Thanks in advance,

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How often do you run a high-quality fuel system cleaner like Seafoam or B-12 Chemtool? All fuel injected systems should do this every 10,000 miles to ensure gunk doesn't build up in the fuel system.

Also, not sure if this would be a factor (or easy to do), but when (if ever) did you last replace the fuel filter? To be fair, on my pickup truck, I didn't bother replacing it until 50,000 miles and that was a preventative measure, not a required repair.

I'm not sure what you mean in a "delay" to turn off the motor. Doesn't the car shut down when you power it off?

3. Anupam

Anupam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was not willing to do that cleaning process as another fluid is injected in the engine and run as normal fuel. The fluid will take charge to clean the engine but according to me all the grease and other protective lubricants that Toyota puts when the engine is built will flush away. Instead I did clean my injector with decarbonizing spray.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That won't happen. Fuel system cleaner stays in the fuel system, and it's consumed in the combustion process. Now, if you were to do something more involved and have it drawn into the vacuum lines or poured into the oil (much more involved cleaning for other issues...most people never do this), then you'd do it BEFORE draining out the old oil at an oil/filter change.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just curious, do you start it and let it sit and idle? Or start and go?

7. Anupam

Anupam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Has just hop the 100,000 miles

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just guessing here, but you probably have to start looking at all the things that are not in the maint. recommendations. pcv, plugs, injectors, throttle body, maf, intake manifold and etc.