1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Apr 17, 2011.

1. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yeah I got the idea they werent that free with it, although Bridgestone had a press release for the Ecopia EP100. I understand coefficients having been involved in aerospace, I did fall over some rolling friction figures somewhere too.

I think its possible to make some broad conclusions that are safe even if not completely accurate

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep that's one of the reasons I've chosen to go with the Ecopia's for my next tire purchase. I just wish they'd all include rolling resistance data with their tire spec's. Then it would make the decision really easy. :)

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish all tire manufactures would post those details! It would indeed make it easier to choose a tire.

4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FHA should have a controlled test and have data posted on sidewall next to treadwear, IMHO

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be fantastic! :)

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Updated 06/11/2011

7. svogin

svogin New Member

I am debating between the Firestone affinity of the ecopia 400 anythougts on how they would act with the car ..2009 prius

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Ecopia EP100 (summer tire) or EP422 (all-season) would be a better choice. They have a longer warranty; 65,000 vs. 50,000. They have better overall ratings for LRR, handling, wet/snow traction etc.. I also don't see the Affinity in the OEM size, 185/65/15.

9. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the F/S Infinity even a LRR tire? Hal

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. I checked Tirerack but it doesn't come in the OEM size it seems.

1 person likes this.
  11. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good morning from New England. I'm new here, and I joined because I'm hoping to purchase my first Prius (2007 with 66,000 miles) later today.

I found this thread interesting and wanted to thank you all, and the gentleman who kindly put up the tire details in particular, for all of the information I'm finding here.

I have two questions, please: I noticed that the tires the dealership put on the car are Yokohama tires. I do not recall anything more about the tires. No offense to women everywhere, but I'm a woman and tires simply do not intrigue me. :)

What does intrigue me, however, is knowing as much as I can about a car before I buy it and once I own it. Do I need to ask any further questions about the tires? I'm buying the car from a Toyota dealer, and in fact from the dealer who originally sold this Prius new and then serviced it throughout it's lifetime before my ownership. I'm assuming they put the right tires on the car.

A more important question for any of you who have driven a Prius in LOTS of snow and ice (I live in Maine), do you suggest studded snow tires for winter? I have read numerous frightening posts about Prius vehicles, most of which I was able to put aside or have answered by the dealership's service manager. But I remain a bit concerned about hydroplaning, traction control issues, etc. I also am VERY concerned about how this car will perform in the Maine winters. It has only 5 1/2 inches of ground clearance and I'm coming from an AWD Subaru Outback. I do realize that with the purchase of a Prius I'm exchanging fantastic winter driving for fantastic gas mileage savings...but I would like to get the best performance out of the Prius possible.

I appreciate finding this forum for just that purpose.

Thanks to all of you in advance for any guidance you might have to offer to a new member of your community.

Julia

12. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cool! Thanks for doing all the research!! I will be using this info when I need new tires!

1 person likes this.
  13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the forum, Julia.

Do not assume you have good tires on the vehicle. There are those people who for whatever reason decide to purchase low quality tires or tires that simply do not work well for the Prius. I would suggest inspecting the tires for uneven wear (you can take pictures and post them here for analysis) and write down the exact size, brand and model of your tires. The wrong tire can drop your average mpg significantly and some can just be downright unsafe depending on your driving conditions. For someone living in Maine you may want to consider a slightly more agressive tire than we usually recommend around here. A great all-season tire that can handle some snow is the Hankook H727 and the Nokian WR. Both tires work well in summer and winter. For better fuel economy the Nokian enTYRE is a good choice. See below for my opinion on dedicated winter tires.

If you have to contend with a lot of snow and especially icy conditions then for maximum safety I would suggest buying another set of OEM wheels and putting a studdless snow tire for winter driving. Sure this will drop your MPG some but it is the safest option and you are less likely to get stranded somewhere because of slippery conditions. I feel it is worth the price for the safety and secure feeling. Good tires for this include Michelin X-Ice Xi2 and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R [/QUOTE]

14. dragonrand

dragonrand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First of all, thanks to F8L for compiling the original list!

I'm also interested in any additional thoughts or experiences with the Continental ProContact EcoPlus tires. My current set is due for replacement and I'm close to having to make a purchasing decision. TireRack liked these tires, but I'm a little concerned about a few reviewers' reports that the tires seem to wander at highway speeds. My commute is primarily highway driving and I don't want tires that I have to babysit to keep them tracking in the lane - the commute is tiring enough as it is! :)

1 person likes this.
  15. wrm1701

wrm1701 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just put four new Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max on my 2008 Prius. I've noticed a 5 MPG increase over my old tires so far.

1 person likes this.
  16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, dragonrand. You must read the Wheels of Time books. :)

I would like to see more reviews on those tires as well but I think most people choose tires based on the "When round and black" TireRack test. I have traded emails with the testing team at Tirerack and they are working on another test so keeps an eye out for it.

I believe usbseawolf2000 purchased the Continental ProContact a few months ago so I am hoping to hear his opinion soon.

I think the freeway wandering issue is common with any tire on the Prius. This is especially true if the tires are overinflated.

17. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for this valuable information!

So -- studs are unnecessary then? that is good news!

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know what kind of conditions you are subject to so I cannot say for sure. I mean if you live on a rural road that is comprised of snow and ice all winter then a studded tire may be your best bet. If you only drive in mildly snowy conditions with the occasional skiing trip then the studdless tires will likley work very well for you. I would not want to comprimise your safety in any way so please do not take my recommendations too seriously without assessing your conditions.

19. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced the original tires with the Continental ProContact EcoPlus tires (in the original size) about 6,000 miles ago and have had no problems with them at all. I've make the 600 mile round trip between Salt Lake City and St. George, Utah several times on I-15 at the speed limits of 75 mph and 80 mph. I haven't perceived any tendency to wander at all. When (lack of) traffic has permitted, I have taken my hands off the steering wheel and the car has stayed in its lane for long distances.

The handling is an improvement over the original tires, especially on wet roads. The Continental tires are also quieter at highway speeds that the Goodyear Assurance tires they replaced.

1 person likes this.
  20. ChuckDavis666

ChuckDavis666 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My thanks also to F8L. Wish I'd found this posting before I did hours of research.

For the 195/55R16 size (2004-2009 Touring OEM) the 797 Revolutions Per Mile for the Ecopia EP422 appears to be correct. On TireRack the diameter of that tire is 26.1" vs. the 24.4" diameter and 854 Revolutions Per Mile of the OEM EL400's in that size. (Larger diameter = fewer Revolutions Per Mile) Using this tire could lower the speedometer reading by 6%-7%.

You can't search by Revolutions Per Mile on the TireRack web site, and their customer service reps can't do that search either (are you listening, TireRack?), but I did some legwork and found that the Ecopia EP422 in the 205/50R16 size is spec'ed at 865 Revolutions Per Mile. (This would probably correct my current 1% low speedometer reading with the OEM tires.) According to a TireRack customer service rep the 205/50R16 will fit on my 2008 Touring.

Tradeoffs between the two sizes of Ecopia EP422's are that the 205/50R16 is H-rated instead of V and has a maximum inflation pressure of 44 psi instead of 51 psi.

Does anybody have any recommendations for or against using the 205/50R16 Ecopia EP422 on my 2008 Touring? What has been the experience of those of you that have gone to wider tires?

Thanks!