1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have fitted 205/55/16 Hankooks on my UK Prius Tspirit OEM 195/55/16 they are listed on different web sites (not manufacturers) as having TPM of 811-831 it seems odd that your 205/50/16 show as TPM 865 witch is smaller than the standard Prius size of around 851TPM this would make your speedo read even higher than normal witch is 2-3 MPH fast.Your odo will also show more miles than actually travelled by about 2%, making your MPG look very good.
    I have had know problems going to the larger size, grip wet and dry is better as is turn in and the car is much more stable at speed. the car is also much quieter and I have not lost any MPG.
    Just had another look at your post and something is wrong if the OEM tyre is 24.4inch dia at 854TPM and the EP422 is 26.1inch dia it must have a lower TPM than the OEM tyre because it has a circumferrence 5.3inch greater

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Chuck,

I would be less concerned with rev per mile than with the extra width of the tire. If you are going for enhanced handling and traction then the wider tire is good but if you want maximum mpg then stick with the original tire size.

The change in revs per mile will only affect the car's computer calculations for speed and MPG. The wider tire will affect your real MPG. Personally I would rather let the car thinks what it wants to but get better fuel economy in the real world. :)

3. adam_hof

adam_hof New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm having trouble making sense of all of this. I live in Los Angeles but do some mountain driving a few times each year. I am a student and thus looking for the most overall economical tires (price/mpg/life of tire). Recommendations of specific tires and even places to purchase are welcome. Thanks for your help in advance. I'm a prius chat newbie.

Year: 2007
    Type: Touring (I think package 6)

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not sure anyone knows the precise answer to that question, but if they do then I'm sure lots of people would want to know that info.

The problem is that there are so many unknowns in terms of mileage life and MPG. Few of the available tires have an actual "rolling resistance" rating so we have vague terms like LRR, but we don't always know just how low or which tire is better than which.

Similarly it's hard to compare wear/life as this varies with driver and car. I'm in the same dilemma as you are, I need tires soon and I'd love to know which is the best compromise for wear/LRR/price.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I had to choose a well rounded tire for a touring model I would likely choose these due to price, wear rating, etc..

Continental ProContact (Grand Touring All-Season)
    UTQG= 540 A A, 51psi, 10.5/32, 18lbs, 851, $106

Or

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 (All-Season)
    UTQG= 400 A A, 51psi, 10/32, 19lbs, 797 (TYPO?), $101

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    F8L it would be helpful if the TPM of the EP422 could be verified, as if the TPM is 797 the speedo and odo would be out by a considerable margin of plus 7%, plus any error that already exists.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The actual tire diameter is 24.4" so that would lead me to believe that the 797 revs per mile is a typo. The EP100 is 24.3" in diameter and has a revs per mile of 857. The Bridgestonen potenza also has a diameter of 24.4 and is listed at 853 revs per mile.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Though's figures are much more in line with my thinking with OEM Turanza's here in the UK are 851

1 person likes this.
  9. Northeastern

Northeastern Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the Yokohama dB Super E -Spec as replacement 195/55/16 for the original tires. While these are not the least expensive replacements I like the fact that they are 80% petrochemical free as they use orange oil and natural rubber. Since I live in Newfoundland ,Canada ( northeast of Maine ) I also have a dedicated set of winter tires which are 185/65/15.
    I need to replace them so am considering Bridgestone Blizzaks as I've had good experiences with those in the past.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the dB Super E-Spec tires on my 15" wheels and they are great tires. I bought them for the same reason. With them I get 53mpg-55mpg. When I swap to my 17" tires I drop to 45mpg-46mpg.

11. ChuckDavis666

ChuckDavis666 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I went to the Bridgestone web site and it does show the Ecopia EP422 with a diameter of 24.4" and a Revs Per Mile of 853 (vs. 854 on the OEM tires). I then called TireRack and the agent I spoke with agreed that the 26.1" diameter and 797 Revs Per Mile shown on their web site were probably incorrect.

TireRack's fitment notes showed that a 205/50R16 would also fit (and in the Ecopia EP422 it would have a Revs Per Mile of 865). Their notes said that a 205/55R16 would not fit a Prius Touring. He echoed some of the comments elsewhere in this thread that the wider tire would improve handling but decrease mileage. As noted in my earlier posting, the Ecopia EP422 205/50R16 is only H-rated and has a maximum inflation pressure of 44 psi.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for doing the legwork on that one, Chuck. I'll update the info when I get on a real computer. Cell phones are not great for carefully editing or spelling. :)

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    An update to the Hankook ecokinergy K425 205/55/16 tyres, first tank of fuel. I have completed 509 miles on the new tyres, obviously not yet fully run in at 500miles. Results as follows.
    Last tank of fuel on OEM Bridgestone's ER300 195/55/16. MFD 62MPG calculated 60.5MPG for 570 miles.
    This tank of fuel on Hankook ecokinergy K425 205/55/16 MFD 62.3MPG calculated 62.6MPG for 509miles
    This was over the same journey's with same temperatures but second tank was in very windy conditions (gusts up to 50 MPH)

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds good Britprius, even breaking even with new tires and no adverse conditions is a win in my opinion. Please keep us updated as you get more data.

I'll have to keep Hankook in mind for my upcoming tire renewal. I'm currently running Hankook "optimo H415 K415" tires that were on the car when I got it two years ago. They don't get much of a mention here, I've never even "meet" anyone else here using this exact H415 "K415" model, I wasn't even sure if they were LRR.

I've got no complaints about them though, I've put 63000 km on them (dont know how many they already had on them when I bought the car) and have been averaging about 4.3 L/100k (55 MPG US, 66MPG UK).

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The only Hankook tyre with that number designation I can find in the UK is a K415 witch is a high performance tyre with LRR. Produced in 13/14/15/16/17inch sizes.

16. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Whoops, memory malfunction. :p

You're right, they are Hankook Optimo K415

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The name of the new tyre just came to mind it's called Hankook Enfren eco I believe in Australia. I think it is the same tyre that I have under a different name. Made in 14/15/16inch sizes.

18. adam_hof

adam_hof New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your help. I'm loving PriusChat but just wish I could contribute more. I'm going to try and find one of these two tires. Have you found it is less expensive to order mail order then have someone install and balance or just go to a shop and buy there?

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome. :)

Just being here and asking questions is helpful. Everyone learns from such questions including non-members who just type something into a search engine. So you're already helping.

To answer your question. It really depends on who the tire retailer is. Sometimes they will match a price your found online but they may add more per tire to reflect the shipping price your would have paid had you ordered them which is fair IMO. I usually order my tires from TireRack.com and have them installed at America's Tire. Install usually runs me about $80 including disposal and environmental fees.

I would simply calculate the total cost from an online source including tax and shipping then brings it to a local tire dealer your trust and see if they can match the price. Sometimes your have to be tricky by asking them how much they would charge to mount some tires "your friend gave you" without mentioning anything about buying new tires. The point of this is to reduce the chance they will try to scare you into buying tires from them by telling you they charge much more to install if you don't buy from them. I try to avoid shops that pull that BS. :) After I get a price for install I then ask "what if I buy new tires from you? Can't you match this price?".

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE!

I added some of the new Nokian Euro winter tires. Most are LRR or at least roll easily according to the website. I am still looking for exact specs so in the mean time I posted links to their respective pages. Check em out! They can be found at local dealers or at Tiresbyweb.com.