1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Jaquimo

Jaquimo Paraglider, Prius glider...

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My experience with replacing tyres on my 2007 workhorse.
    The old tyres were Bridgestone Turanza ER30 tyres with about 65 000 km (40 000 mile) on them.
    The Michelin Energy Saver AS and Michelin Primacy MXM4 are unfortunately not available in South Africa in the 195/55R16 size that I needed. The Michelin Energy XM2 which looks like a good tyre is also not available in this size. So I went with the same tires that my wife's Prius has which is the Michelin Energy Saver. The ratings from www.michelinman.com for the Energy Saver A/S and the Energy Saver are very similar:

........................................Energy™ Saver A/S .....Energy™ Saver
    WEAR LIFE .....................7 ..................................7
    FUEL EFFICIENCY ..........10 ................................10
    HANDLING .....................8 ...................................9
    BRAKING ........................8 ...................................9
    COMFORT .......................10 ..................................9

So full of expectation I drove the past few days while concentrating on comparing the previous ride experience with the current. And I can without any hesitation say that so far the experience is like comparing chalk and cheese. I always thought that there were other factors why my wife's 2009 was driving so much better than mine but now I know it is the tires that makes the difference. The most pertinent difference is road noise which almost disappeared especially on tarred roads with a very coarse surface :D . Next is rolling resistance. My Prius can now also glide seemingly forever like my wife's (y). The fuel efficiency is also rising but I will finish the current tank before passing a verdict on this matter. I think that the elusive 800 mile tank is looming ahead :sneaky:. At www.fuelly.com/driver/jaquimo the running average for the last 12 months is at 4.5 l/100 km (52.4 mpg US) and I believe that should be a good measure of the fuel efficiency difference. As for wear life I meticulously keep the tyre pressure at 290/280 kPa (42/40 psi) front and rear and will keep a close eye on the new tyres for any signs of excessive wear. The 50 000 km warranty and pothole guarantee that came with the tyres also require the wheel alignment to be checked and the tyres to be rotated by the dealer every 10 000 km so those aspects will be closely monitored. I will post updates as available.

F8L likes this.
  2. texasboy77904

texasboy77904 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Went to my local discount tire today but the michelin energy savers were out of stock. They talked to michelin and were told that the production date on the energy savers could be 2 weeks or 6 months :(

The michelin defender was the next recommended tire from the store and in stock.

Now looking at the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422.

I'm primarily focusing on mpg.

What to do?

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The EP422 is likely your next best bet for price, warranty and mpg. I wish Michelin would keep up with demand. :(

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jaquimo,

The Energy Saver (performance touring) is a summer tire so it's rating on the Michelin site cannot be directly compared to the Energy Saver A/S (all-season passenger tire). The rating are only comparable to other tires in the same category. My Primacy MXM4 rates a 10 in fuel economy but it not even in the same league as the Energy Saver A/S.

With that said, the European version of the Energy Saver is very LRR and is probably equal to or better than the Energy Saver A/S. the names are confusing. I wouldn't be surprised if you have the European version. That is what they sell in SA right?

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Justin,

The comparison is based on same size tyres ?

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, its based on the style of tire (grand touring, passenger, performance, all-season, summer, etc)BUT the size difference can also change things. I.e. the tire may be LRR in one size but not another despite being the same model.

For example, a grand touring tire will likely have more material to resist deformation to enhance steering response and handling. This would usually make the tire heavier and or increase RR. A performance tire goes a few steps further. So you shouldn't try to compare tires from different classes. In some cases a grand touring tire is actually more fuel efficient than a standard passenger tire. The dB Super E-Spec is a grand touring tire and it is more fuel efficient than a lot of passenger tires. So until we get a rating system like the Europeans we are kind of stuck with waiting for official test results from people like TireRack.

Tires are friggin confusing! :)

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, I was unclear in my question. I was wondering if your comment that the Energy Saver A/S had much lower RR than the MXM4 was comparing tyres of similar width. I gather (?) the A/S does not come in 17 inch, but I am unsure if the MXM4 has a 15 inch variety.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotcha. Bad example I guess. :)

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Justin,

I just checked, and found the Energy Saver A/S comes in a 205/65R16* size. Did you avoid this tyre for aesthetic reasons, or would fuel economy, mounting or performance be a problem ?

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a huge tire. I,m not sure it would fit without rubbing. It would look funny too. It is 1.5" taller than OE.

I avoided 16s for cost vs. aesthetics. I just didn't find the appearance difference great enough to justify a mpg loss and extra expense. Plus I don't like most aftermarket wheels. :(

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, in the November '12 issue of Consumer Reports, they reviewed a whole bunch of tires. Here are the ones that got the best possible score (dot) for rolling resistance:

All-season tires (T speed rating):
    Yokohama Avid Ascend - did pretty well in overall score, was ranked 6/20 in that category. Got a recommended check mark.

Performance all-season tires (H speed rating):
    Michelin Primacy MXV4 - ranked #1/20 in that category. Got recommended check mark.
    Dunlop SP Sport 7000 A/S - ranked #7/20.
    Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 - was ranked dead last in that category (20/20).

Performance all-season tires (V speed rating):
    Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 - was ranked 20/22 in that category

The tires were ranked by overall score within each category.

FWIW, I have two EP422 tires and they seem fine to me. They're better than the stock crap Goodyear Integrities. When my two other tires (Bridgestone RE960AS) tires wear out, I'll probably replace them w/EP422.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that the diameter number is the hole of the tyre.

Right ?

I still am not calculating correctly though, since I get the outer diameters as
    21.246 inches for the 16 inch A/S, and

20.809 inches for the 17 inch MXM4.

AS: 16 + (205/25.4*.65)
    MXM4: 17+ (215/25.4*.45)

That would be a height difference of .44 inches, rather than the 1.5 inches you mentioned. Where am I going wrong ?

Addendum: Oops -- I forgot to double the outer measurement. Is the correct height difference 1.88 inches ?

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. So when you are interested in a tire always look at the diameter and the revolutions per mile.

Here is a guide for plus sizing. :)
    Tire Tech Information - Plus Size Wheels and Tires

14. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Been there with the Ecopia EP422, and took them back during the 30 day
    money back period and replaced them with Michelin Energy Saver AS tires
    for only $48.00 more at Costco last month.

The EP 422 in my opinion drift at high speed, and are not as quiet as Michelin.
    The Michelin just gives me a better ride.

15. Jaquimo

Jaquimo Paraglider, Prius glider...

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, on the tyre it says "Made in Germany".

16. kcbyrne

kcbyrne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I went with the Energy saver A/S from Costco and have seen a nice increase in MPG over the factory goodyears. On my daily 100 mi commute I averaged 47.5 mpg now the with the Michelins I'm at 52.6 Mpg. This is at factory air settings and same route same outside temps. Overall the new tires are quieter and seem to handle better. Very happy with this tire. Thanks to all for your posts helping me make a great decision.

markabele and F8L like this.
  17. mbaran

mbaran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should I bump a 2008 Touring to a 205/55/16 to correct the revs per mile. I noticed that the suggested fix for 2004-09 is 831 and the stock size (195/55) would put me at 853 or so. Im debating between the EP422 in those two sizes. Nothing else seems to really come in that size that's reasonably priced.

18. Pete campbell

Pete campbell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought some 215 45R 17 and in putting them on a set of 17" TC rims ( which look very nice)
    I also feel there is some wheel gap. Agin what size might eliminate the look and no adverslely affect
    handling or MPG? Taller? Narrower?

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really like the look of the 205/50/17. The only drawback is the tire I bought rode kinda rough but it was getting better as they broke in. I switched them out for a set of 215/45/17s and immediately regretted it from appearance standpoint. If I get the chance to do it all over again I will go with the 205/50/17 Ecopia EP422 for max fuel economy or the Bridgestone Serenity Plus.

Gap with 205/50/17
    [​IMG]

Gap with 215/45/17
    [​IMG]

It's not a huge difference but very noticeable when viewing the car in person. This size also fixes the speedo error so it reads accurate.

20. Pete campbell

Pete campbell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    thanks so much for your insight
    pics tell the story!
    thanks